Re: [XTalk] Asclepias of Mendes

  • John Michael Keba
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2007
      Thank you for your reply, Professor Gibson.

      > First of all, you may wish to note that it is not so certain that
      > Suetonius did
      > write decades after Luke.

      Yes, that is why I wrote "generally held."

      > Secondly, the issue is not "would Luke have known Suetonius?", but "would
      > Luke
      > have known the tale told by Asclepias?" (and BTW, also by Dio Cassius in
      > his
      > History of Rome [45 1.2-2.4]).

      Yes, that is why I asked specifically for the dating of Asclepias.

      > Asclepias was a contemporary of Augustus and to my knowledge he wrote his
      > Theologumena before Augustus died (14 CE).

      Thank you.

      > But why not ask your question of Dom himself (whom I presume is the HJ
      > scholar you
      > refer to above). He may be reached at:
      >
      > jdcrosn@...

      I asked Professor Goodacre if he had an address for Crossan, but as I
      mentioned, he sent me here. Thank you again for the information.

      Sincerely,
      John K.