Asclepias of Mendes

  • John Keba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27 5:44 PM
      Hello all,

      I am new to the list. I learned of it from Prof. Mark Goodacre of
      Duke, who suggested that I might find an answer to a question that has
      been bothering me for some time. I am not an academic, so my resources
      are limited, and this does seem to be a list on which I can find an
      answer; Professor Gibson was kind enough to approve my request to join.

      In the "Life of Augustus," Suetonius wrote about the divine
      impregnation of Augustus' mother by Apollo in the form of a serpent, a
      story which he states came from the Theologumena of Asclepias of Mendes.

      At least one Historical Jesus scholar has claimed that this is the
      source of Luke's account of Mary's conception. But as you all know,
      Seutonius wrote the Lives decades after the generally held dating of
      Luke; the question becomes then, when was the Theologumena of
      Asclepias written?

      As I have said, I am not an academic and the answer has eluded me. I
      have searched the archives here, and the question doesn't seem to have
      come up. Please pardon me if this is a silly question. If someone can
      find the time to jot an answer, let me thank you in advance.

      Sincerely,

      John M. Keba
      Pittsburgh, PA