Origen, Against Celsus 1.47, and the reference to Paul.

  • Ben C. Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2007
      I have a question about what Origen says about Josephus and James the just in Against Celsus 1.47. In this section the usual English translations online, from the Ante-Nicene Fathers series (refer to http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/origen161.html, for example), have the following about the apostle Paul:

      Paul, a genuine disciple of Jesus, says that he regarded this James as a brother of the Lord, not so much on account of their relationship by blood, or of their being brought up together, as because of his virtue and doctrine.

      However, the Greek version online at Skeptik (refer to http://khazarzar.skeptik.net/books/origenus/cc/gr/01.htm) has this portion of the Origenic text in square brackets. For anybody with access to a critical edition of Against Celsus (perhaps the SC version, which would be volume 132?), is there a textual issue with this sentence in the extant texts of Origen?

      Thanks.

      Ben.
      http://www.textexcavation.com

    • James Ernest
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
        Ben,
        I don't have a critical edition of Contra Celsum here. The sentence you
        quote is included without any note about textual problems in Chadwick's CUP
        translation. Chadwick does have a long note about the preceding Josephus
        quotations. At Amazon, a search inside for "common upbringing" will show you
        the page. (Chadwick's Contra Celsum is will worth owning, though the price
        is regrettable.)
        James Ernest