[XTalk] The Tomb of James

  • Antonio Lombatti
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2007
      Hi all,

      I am looking for a reliable bibliographic reference for what J.
      Finegan (Archaeology of the New Testament. Princeton Univ. Press,
      1969) calls the tradition about the Tomb of James, the brother of the
      Lord (p. 193). He shows the Bene Hezir monuments: the tomb of
      Zechariah, and, on the right, the tomb of James.

      Finegan quotes Hegesippus (Eusebius, Ch. Hist. II, 23) about James
      being cast down from the pinnacle of the temple, and that he was
      buried on the spot, by the temple, where his monument still remains.
      If the pinnacle--says Finegan-- was the southeast corner of the
      enclosure wall which was so high above the Kidron ravine that "one
      who looked down grew dizzy" (Josephus, Ant. XV, 11, 5 ยง412), then
      James might have fallen into the valley at a point approximately
      opposite the tomb of Bene Hezir. Later, it would have not been
      difficult to imagine that the tomb was the monument of James, the
      brother of Jesus.

      I have two questions: 1) are there other scholars that have deal with
      this tomb? 2) What are earliest the literary sources that identify
      that place as the tomb of James?

      Regards,
      Antonio Lombatti