Ron Price-Question from a novice about Redaction Criticism

  • Gregory Leiby
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2007
      Ron,

      I have found the ongoing discussion between you
      and Rikk interesting. I appreciate both of your
      willingness to discuss in such an open forum.

      Before reading the discussion, I was not familiar
      with the term Redaction Criticism (please note
      that I am not a scholar).

      Is it correct to say Redaction Criticism looks
      what is included, what is excluded, and how the
      text is formed to understand what the author is
      trying to get at?

      The analogy that comes to my mind would be
      State-approved literature in the era of Stalin;
      how it would, in some fashion, point to the
      goodness of the State (and itÂ’s leader) and
      criticize the West.

      I know this is simplistic, but is that the
      concept?

      Thanks,
      Greg

      Gregory Leiby
      Greenville, SC, USA
      http://www.theleibys.com/

      ____________________________________________________________________________________Got a little couch potato?
    • Steve Puluka
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2007
        on 5/29/07 1:52 PM, Gregory Leiby at gleiby@... wrote:

        > Ron,
        >
        > I have found the ongoing discussion between you
        > and Rikk interesting. I appreciate both of your
        > willingness to discuss in such an open forum.
        >
        > Before reading the discussion, I was not familiar
        > with the term Redaction Criticism (please note
        > that I am not a scholar).

        Redaction criticism looks to the editorial process and motivations. This
        stems from the look at sources for the current biblical texts. The
        identification of multiple sources woven together into a final form creates
        the question of the editors role in creating that final form.

        For a very brief introduction to various kinds of "criticisms" see:

        Hayes, John Haralson, and Carl R. Holladay. Biblical Exegesis: A Beginner's
        Handbook. Rev ed. Atlanta: John Knox Press, 1987.

        --
        Steve Puluka, MA Duquesne University
        Cantor, Holy Ghost Church, Mckees Rocks PA