Re: [XTalk] Tomb Of Jesus

  • Antonio Lombatti
    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2007
      Brian,

      a wonderful drawing of the original Constantinian church of the Holy
      Sepulchre, with its later structures, has been published by J.
      Finegan, _The Archaeology of the New Testament_. New Haven: Princeton
      Univ. Press, 1969, p. 163, plate 181.

      An accurate monograph on it with many photos and drawings is the book
      by the Oxford univ. professor M. Biddle, _The Tomb of Christ_. Sutton
      Publ.: Stroud, 1999.

      If don't have those book, I can scan some pictures and upload them in
      the Photos section.

      Antonio Lombatti

    • duling@canisius.edu
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2007
        Hello, All,

        I gave a Power Point talk on it at SBL last year in the Social Memory section. There are many sources for this, and woodcuts are on line. Some of the most useful sources are:

        Ca√ľasnon, Charles. 1974. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre. London: Oxford University Press.

        Corbo, Virgilio C. 1981. Il Santo Sepolcro Di Gerusalemme. 3 vols. Jerusalem: Franciscan Printing Press.

        Parrot, André. 1957. Golgotha and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Trans. Edwin Hudson. New York: Philosophical Library.

        Peters, F. E. 1985. Jerusalem. Princeton: Princeton University Press.

        Best regards,

        Dennis

        > With all the talk of tombs lately, it brought me to
        > a question I've had
        > ever since visiting Jerusalem for the first time
        > last year.
        >
        > The current "tomb of Jesus" within the Holy
        > Sepulchre only dates to the
        > 19th century.
        >
        > Does anyone know of any drawings, wood cuts, images
        > of any type, or
        > descriptions of what the tomb looked like before the
        > current structure?
        >
        > For that matter, does anyone know of a written
        > history of the tomb of
        > Jesus that reports descriptions of the tomb over
        > time?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Bryan Cox
        > Plano, Tx

      • Bryan Cox
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2007
          Thanks to both answers so far. The only online images I have found so
          far are found below (if images are allowed) apparently drawn by Cornelis
          De Bruijn in the 17th century:

          Rotunda and Jesus' Tomb ~17th century
          Rotunda and Tomb
          <http://odur.let.rug.nl/%7Edrijvers/research/grafkerk.jpg>
          Inside Tomb of Jesus?
          Jesus' Tomb
          <http://www.livius.org/bn-bz/bruijn/cornelis_de_bruijn_tomb_s.JPG>

          They are good images, but I'm wondering if there are more like them
          online.

          P.S. - Dennis, is your presentation online?

          Thanks again,
          Bryan Cox
          Plano, Tx

          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2007
            I have a big present for you (:-) I've uploaded four pictures for
            those interested in at the following address:

            http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/4522/ricostruzr9.jpg

            http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/690/sepolcrosw2.jpg

            http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2571/immagine2at5.png

            http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1297/immagine3md9.png

            1. (left) a possible reconstruction of Jesus' tomb; (right) the
            original Constantinian ediculae built over the supposed burial spot.

            2. full plan of the structure

            3. Corbo's reconstruction of the Hadrian pagan temple built over
            Jesus' burial place

            4. Corbo's full plan of the structure

            The majority of scholars (even if not all of them) agree that the
            Holy Sepulchre is the possible burial place of Jesus (see: S. De
            Sandoli. _Calvary and the Holy Sepulchre_. Jerusalem: Franciscan
            Printing Press, 1977; V. Corbo, _Il Santo Sepolcro di Gerusalemme_. 3
            vols, Gerusalemme: Franciscan Printing Press, 1981-1982 and a good
            summary is the magazine article by D. Bahat, _Does the Holy Sepulchre
            Mark the Burial of Jesus?_. in "Biblical Archaeological Review", 3
            (1986), pp. 26-45, he writes: " We may not be absolutely certain that
            the site of the Holy Sepulchre is the site of Jesus' burial, but we
            certainly have no other site that can lay a claim as weighly, and we
            really have no evidence to reject the authenticity of the site".)

            Antonio Lombatti

          • Antonio Lombatti
            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2007
              Forgive me, but in my previous message I left out of it that I was
              addressing to Brian.

              Antonio Lombatti