Pagels on the Colbert Report

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 18, 2007
      If you missed the Colbert Report last night don't miss one of the many
      airings today.

      Delightful!

      --
      Jim West, ThD

    • David Hindley
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 23, 2007
        --- Steve Davies wrote:
        > As I mentioned recently there is a report from Josephus about
        > the Judean-Galilean caravan to the Temple that was attacked by
        > Galileans on the Samaritan border. (recalling Josephus' bit from
        > memory here). This seems to indicate that such a caravan was an
        > unusual event and likely that there was only one of them.

        If not the accounts below, what account are you referring to?

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Newton Falls, Ohio USA

        Whiston:

        Wars of the Jews 2:232 After this there happened a fight between the Galileans and the Samaritans: it happened at a village called Geman, which is located in the great plain of Samaria; where, as a great number of Jews were going up to Jerusalem to the feast [of tabernacles], a certain Galilean was slain; 233 and besides, a vast number of people ran together out of Galilee, in order to fight with the Samaritans. But the principal men among them came to Cumanus, and besought him that, before the evil became incurable, he would come into Galilee, and bring the authors of this murder to punishment; for that there was no other way to make the multitude separate without coming to blows. However, Cumanus postponed their supplications to the other affairs he was then about, and sent the petitioners away without success.

        Antiquities of the Jews 20:118 Now, there arose a quarrel between the Samaritans and the Jews on the occasion following:--It was the custom of the Galileans, when they came to the holy city at the festivals, to take their journeys through the country of the Samaritans; {a} and at this time there lay, in the road they took, a village that was called Ginea, which was located on the border of Samaria and the great plain, where certain persons thereto belonging fought with the Galileans, and killed a great many of them. 119 But when the principal of the Galileans were informed of what had been done, they came to Cumanus, and desired him to avenge the murder of those that were killed; but he was induced by the Samaritans, with money, to do nothing in the matter ...

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Newton Falls, Ohio USA