Re: [XTalk] Last Days of Jesus

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2007
      At 06:47 AM 4/9/2007, sdavies0 wrote:
      >Hi folks
      >
      >I was rather disappointed with this show because I hoped to find out
      >more of what the last days pre-trials were supposed to be all about
      >but there was very little...

      Steve,
      Aren't you expecting a bit much from a TV special? I usually count it as
      positive if they don't pander to the fundamentalists, and actually make a
      decent effort to summarize contemporary mainline scholarship on the theme
      of the show, while showing realistic footage that places the subject under
      discussion in a reasonable visual context. I do not expect them to solve
      conundrums that have eluded scholarship for generations.

      >and I always hope to see more of Old City Jerusalem than I get to see.

      That's agreed.

      >So maybe yall can help re: last days pre-trial.
      >
      >Do we have anything like a best-dates for the events listed in Mark?
      >(I'd like to stick with the synoptic pattern and leave John out of
      >it if you don't mind).

      Well, matter of fact, I *do* mind. But its your question, so I guess you
      have the right to stipulate.

      >What exactly would a passover meal have consisted of back then? Do
      >we have any good Mishnah evidence (and is that itself dependable?)

      I have no special insight on that.

      >Do we know, as the TV said, that Siloam was a public mikvah for
      >pilgrims? Or is somebody just making that up.

      "Educated guess"?

      Happy Easter, Steve. :-)
      Bob Schacht