Re: [XTalk] a false claim re "the Jesus family tomb"

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2007
      Stephen Goranson wrote:

      > This is merely one of the items that do not add up.

      Another thing that doesn't add up are the dimensions of the ossuaries in question. As I posted on this list on Oct 8, 2006, Tabor's claim that "the dimensions of the missing tenth ossuary [from the Talpiot tomb] are precisely the same, to the centimeter, to those of the James Ossuary" is bogus. *BAR* lists the dimensions of the James ossuary as 50.5 cm x 25 cm x 30.5 cm, while the report on the Talpiot tomb published in *Atiqot* 29 (1996) 15-22, lists the tenth ossuary as measuring 60 cm x 26 cm x 30 cm. Tabor has been aware of this discrepancy at least since Nov 23, 2006 (when I first heard Tabor's complaint about a piece I wrote for *Jerusalem Perspective*, in which I cite this along with several other problems with his theory). He could only continue to hold his theory after that date, therefore, if he has reason to suspect that the published report on one of the two ossuaries is in error. (And if he does, why doesn't he mention that in his book?)

      I have a few questions:

      (1) Does anyone else in the reactions to "The Tomb" documentary mention this discrepancy?

      (2) When was this documentary shot? When did they interview Tabor? Did he continue to tout his theory on camera after I had pointed out the dimensional discrepancy on *Jerusalem Perspective* (in a little piece that Tabor responded to)?

      John C. Poirier