Re: Today

  • león
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
      Watch this game . . .

      the winners get to play with the Apostles.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

      leon
    • Darrell Bock
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
        I had no idea that we could get so philosophical and historical about
        all of this. Kudos to all of you for joining in. For those of you
        fans of the "real football," just remember that "foot" is a part of
        the whole body, so are hands. So both football and handball are not
        what they seem by the name! Jesus spoke in mysterious aphorisms and
        parables, so he would surely appreciate the name and what it represents.

        Darrell Bock

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
          Hi David,

          Mostly, I think the artifact expresses really cheesy poor taste;)!

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC
          On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:41 AM, david cook wrote:

          > Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the
          > prophet
          > Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?)
          > pomo
          > reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and
          > American
          > football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations'
          > after the
          > style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
          > David Cook
          > Cranbrook School
          > Cranbrook Kent UK

        • Mike Grondin
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
            --- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
            > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
            > about Jesus knowledge of football:
            >
            > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

            Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
            meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:

            "Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"

            Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
            out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
            one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
            guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>

            Mike Grondin
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
              At 09:32 AM 2/6/2007, Mike Grondin wrote:
              >--- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
              > > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
              > > about Jesus knowledge of football:
              > >
              > > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html
              >
              >Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
              >meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:
              >
              >"Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"
              >
              >Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
              >out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
              >one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
              >guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>
              >
              >Mike Grondin

              Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set of lyrics
              for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of Life" and
              post it.

            • Horace Jeffery Hodges
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2007
                You do that, Bob, and I'll post all of "Joggin' with Jesus," by Hank Wangford.

                Meanwhile: http://www.hankwangford.com/

                Jeffery Hodges

                Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
                Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set of lyrics
                for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of Life" and
                post it.

                Bob

                University Degrees:

                Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
                M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

                Email Address:

                jefferyhodges@...

                Blog:

                http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

                Office Address:

                Korea University
                136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
                Seoul
                South Korea

                Home Address:

                Sehan Apt. 102-2302
                Sinnae-dong 795
                Jungrang-gu
                Seoul 131-770
                South Korea

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2007
                  On Feb 7, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                  > You do that, Bob, and I'll post all of "Joggin' with Jesus," by
                  > Hank Wangford.
                  >
                  > Meanwhile: http://www.hankwangford.com/
                  >
                  > Jeffery Hodges
                  >
                  > Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
                  > Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set
                  > of lyrics
                  > for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of
                  > Life" and
                  > post it.

                  Bob, Jeffrey,
                  Surely the more appropriate song to the authentic sayings of Jesus
                  comes from that grand song by Ray Stevens, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex
                  on His Television Show?" And yet some will surely reply with Janis
                  Joplin's, "Oh Lord, Want You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz;)!"

                  Gordon Raynal
                  Inman, SC