Re: Today

  • león
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
      Watch this game . . .

      the winners get to play with the Apostles.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

      leon
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
        My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
        version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
        think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:

        The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
        on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
        point in that direction;)!

        or

        if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
        "foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!

        or

        most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
        really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
        fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
        the upcoming America's Cup race?]

        but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
        tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
        which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
        that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
        football;)!

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC

        On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

        > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
        > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
        > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
        > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
        > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
        > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
        >
        > But Jesus would understand...
        >
        > Jeffery Hodges

      • Horace Jeffery Hodges
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
          Let's try that again...

          John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote:

          Ken, Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor beats me!

          To which I, adopting my George Carlin persona, intone: "It's a mystery."

          But Jesus would understand...

          Jeffery Hodges

          University Degrees:

          Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
          M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

          Email Address:

          jefferyhodges@...

          Blog:

          http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

          Office Address:

          Korea University
          136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
          Seoul
          South Korea

          Home Address:

          Sehan Apt. 102-2302
          Sinnae-dong 795
          Jungrang-gu
          Seoul 131-770
          South Korea

        • david cook
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
            Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the prophet
            Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?) pomo
            reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and American
            football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations' after the
            style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
            David Cook
            Cranbrook School
            Cranbrook Kent UK

            >From: Gordon Raynal <scudi1@...>
            >To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Re: Today
            >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:57:15 -0500
            >
            >My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
            >version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
            >think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:
            >
            >The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
            >on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
            >point in that direction;)!
            >
            >or
            >
            >if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
            >"foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!
            >
            >or
            >
            >most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
            >really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
            >fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
            >the upcoming America's Cup race?]
            >
            >but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
            >tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
            >which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
            >that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
            >football;)!
            >
            >Gordon Raynal
            >Inman, SC
            >
            >On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
            >
            > > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
            > > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
            > > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
            > > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
            > > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
            > > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
            > >
            > > But Jesus would understand...
            > >
            > > Jeffery Hodges

            http://www.msn.txt4content.com/
          • Darrell Bock
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
              I had no idea that we could get so philosophical and historical about
              all of this. Kudos to all of you for joining in. For those of you
              fans of the "real football," just remember that "foot" is a part of
              the whole body, so are hands. So both football and handball are not
              what they seem by the name! Jesus spoke in mysterious aphorisms and
              parables, so he would surely appreciate the name and what it represents.

              Darrell Bock

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                Hi David,

                Mostly, I think the artifact expresses really cheesy poor taste;)!

                Gordon Raynal
                Inman, SC
                On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:41 AM, david cook wrote:

                > Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the
                > prophet
                > Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?)
                > pomo
                > reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and
                > American
                > football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations'
                > after the
                > style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                > David Cook
                > Cranbrook School
                > Cranbrook Kent UK

              • Mike Grondin
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                  --- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                  > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                  > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                  >
                  > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

                  Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                  meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:

                  "Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"

                  Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                  out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                  one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                  guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>

                  Mike Grondin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                    At 09:32 AM 2/6/2007, Mike Grondin wrote:
                    >--- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                    > > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                    > > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html
                    >
                    >Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                    >meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:
                    >
                    >"Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"
                    >
                    >Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                    >out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                    >one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                    >guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>
                    >
                    >Mike Grondin

                    Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set of lyrics
                    for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of Life" and
                    post it.

                  • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 7, 2007
                        On Feb 7, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                        > You do that, Bob, and I'll post all of "Joggin' with Jesus," by
                        > Hank Wangford.
                        >
                        > Meanwhile: http://www.hankwangford.com/
                        >
                        > Jeffery Hodges
                        >
                        > Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
                        > Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set
                        > of lyrics
                        > for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of
                        > Life" and
                        > post it.

                        Bob, Jeffrey,
                        Surely the more appropriate song to the authentic sayings of Jesus
                        comes from that grand song by Ray Stevens, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex
                        on His Television Show?" And yet some will surely reply with Janis
                        Joplin's, "Oh Lord, Want You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz;)!"

                        Gordon Raynal
                        Inman, SC