Re: Today

  • león
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
      Watch this game . . .

      the winners get to play with the Apostles.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

      leon
    • Horace Jeffery Hodges
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
        John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin persona, intone: "It's a mystery."

        But Jesus would understand...

        Jeffery Hodges

        University Degrees:

        Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
        M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

        Email Address:

        jefferyhodges@...

        Blog:

        http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

        Office Address:

        Korea University
        136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
        Seoul
        South Korea

        Home Address:

        Sehan Apt. 102-2302
        Sinnae-dong 795
        Jungrang-gu
        Seoul 131-770
        South Korea

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
          My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
          version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
          think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:

          The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
          on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
          point in that direction;)!

          or

          if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
          "foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!

          or

          most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
          really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
          fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
          the upcoming America's Cup race?]

          but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
          tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
          which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
          that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
          football;)!

          Gordon Raynal
          Inman, SC

          On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

          > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
          > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
          > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
          > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
          > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
          > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
          >
          > But Jesus would understand...
          >
          > Jeffery Hodges

        • Horace Jeffery Hodges

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
              Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the prophet
              Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?) pomo
              reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and American
              football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations' after the
              style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
              David Cook
              Cranbrook School
              Cranbrook Kent UK

              >From: Gordon Raynal <scudi1@...>
              >To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Re: Today
              >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:57:15 -0500
              >
              >My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
              >version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
              >think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:
              >
              >The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
              >on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
              >point in that direction;)!
              >
              >or
              >
              >if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
              >"foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!
              >
              >or
              >
              >most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
              >really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
              >fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
              >the upcoming America's Cup race?]
              >
              >but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
              >tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
              >which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
              >that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
              >football;)!
              >
              >Gordon Raynal
              >Inman, SC
              >
              >On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
              >
              > > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
              > > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
              > > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
              > > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
              > > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
              > > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
              > >
              > > But Jesus would understand...
              > >
              > > Jeffery Hodges

              http://www.msn.txt4content.com/
            • Darrell Bock
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                I had no idea that we could get so philosophical and historical about
                all of this. Kudos to all of you for joining in. For those of you
                fans of the "real football," just remember that "foot" is a part of
                the whole body, so are hands. So both football and handball are not
                what they seem by the name! Jesus spoke in mysterious aphorisms and
                parables, so he would surely appreciate the name and what it represents.

                Darrell Bock

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                  Hi David,

                  Mostly, I think the artifact expresses really cheesy poor taste;)!

                  Gordon Raynal
                  Inman, SC
                  On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:41 AM, david cook wrote:

                  > Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the
                  > prophet
                  > Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?)
                  > pomo
                  > reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and
                  > American
                  > football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations'
                  > after the
                  > style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                  > David Cook
                  > Cranbrook School
                  > Cranbrook Kent UK

                • Mike Grondin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                    --- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                    > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                    > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                    >
                    > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

                    Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                    meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:

                    "Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"

                    Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                    out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                    one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                    guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>

                    Mike Grondin
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                      At 09:32 AM 2/6/2007, Mike Grondin wrote:
                      >--- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                      > > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                      > > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                      > >
                      > > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html
                      >
                      >Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                      >meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:
                      >
                      >"Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"
                      >
                      >Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                      >out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                      >one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                      >guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>
                      >
                      >Mike Grondin

                      Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set of lyrics
                      for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of Life" and
                      post it.

                    • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 7, 2007
                          On Feb 7, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                          > You do that, Bob, and I'll post all of "Joggin' with Jesus," by
                          > Hank Wangford.
                          >
                          > Meanwhile: http://www.hankwangford.com/
                          >
                          > Jeffery Hodges
                          >
                          > Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
                          > Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set
                          > of lyrics
                          > for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of
                          > Life" and
                          > post it.

                          Bob, Jeffrey,
                          Surely the more appropriate song to the authentic sayings of Jesus
                          comes from that grand song by Ray Stevens, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex
                          on His Television Show?" And yet some will surely reply with Janis
                          Joplin's, "Oh Lord, Want You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz;)!"

                          Gordon Raynal
                          Inman, SC