Re: [XTalk] Today

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
      Mark,

      The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong about Jesus knowledge of football:

      http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

      Actually, there is a "soccer" (to use the correct term) one too, as well as baseball, hockey and ballet--but they don't sell nearly as well.

      Best,

      Ken

      Kenneth A. Olson
      MA, History, University of Maryland
      PhD Student, Religion, Duke University

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
        Watch this game . . .

        the winners get to play with the Apostles.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

        leon
      • John E Staton
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
          Ken,
          Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
          everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a
          game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor
          beats me!

          Best Wishes
          Penistone, Sheffield UK
          www.christianreflection.org.uk
        • Horace Jeffery Hodges
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
            John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin persona, intone: "It's a mystery."

            But Jesus would understand...

            Jeffery Hodges

            University Degrees:

            Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
            M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

            Email Address:

            jefferyhodges@...

            Blog:

            http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

            Office Address:

            Korea University
            136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
            Seoul
            South Korea

            Home Address:

            Sehan Apt. 102-2302
            Sinnae-dong 795
            Jungrang-gu
            Seoul 131-770
            South Korea

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
              My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
              version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
              think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:

              The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
              on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
              point in that direction;)!

              or

              if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
              "foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!

              or

              most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
              really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
              fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
              the upcoming America's Cup race?]

              but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
              tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
              which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
              that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
              football;)!

              Gordon Raynal
              Inman, SC

              On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

              > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
              > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
              > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
              > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
              > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
              > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
              >
              > But Jesus would understand...
              >
              > Jeffery Hodges

            • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                  Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the prophet
                  Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?) pomo
                  reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and American
                  football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations' after the
                  style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                  David Cook
                  Cranbrook School
                  Cranbrook Kent UK

                  >From: Gordon Raynal <scudi1@...>
                  >To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Re: Today
                  >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:57:15 -0500
                  >
                  >My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
                  >version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
                  >think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:
                  >
                  >The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
                  >on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
                  >point in that direction;)!
                  >
                  >or
                  >
                  >if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
                  >"foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!
                  >
                  >or
                  >
                  >most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
                  >really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
                  >fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
                  >the upcoming America's Cup race?]
                  >
                  >but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
                  >tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
                  >which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
                  >that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
                  >football;)!
                  >
                  >Gordon Raynal
                  >Inman, SC
                  >
                  >On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
                  >
                  > > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
                  > > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
                  > > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
                  > > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
                  > > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
                  > > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
                  > >
                  > > But Jesus would understand...
                  > >
                  > > Jeffery Hodges

                  http://www.msn.txt4content.com/
                • Darrell Bock
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                    I had no idea that we could get so philosophical and historical about
                    all of this. Kudos to all of you for joining in. For those of you
                    fans of the "real football," just remember that "foot" is a part of
                    the whole body, so are hands. So both football and handball are not
                    what they seem by the name! Jesus spoke in mysterious aphorisms and
                    parables, so he would surely appreciate the name and what it represents.

                    Darrell Bock

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                      Hi David,

                      Mostly, I think the artifact expresses really cheesy poor taste;)!

                      Gordon Raynal
                      Inman, SC
                      On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:41 AM, david cook wrote:

                      > Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the
                      > prophet
                      > Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?)
                      > pomo
                      > reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and
                      > American
                      > football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations'
                      > after the
                      > style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                      > David Cook
                      > Cranbrook School
                      > Cranbrook Kent UK

                    • Mike Grondin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                        --- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                        > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                        > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                        >
                        > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

                        Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                        meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:

                        "Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"

                        Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                        out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                        one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                        guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>

                        Mike Grondin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                          At 09:32 AM 2/6/2007, Mike Grondin wrote:
                          >--- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                          > > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                          > > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                          > >
                          > > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html
                          >
                          >Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                          >meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:
                          >
                          >"Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"
                          >
                          >Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                          >out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                          >one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                          >guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>
                          >
                          >Mike Grondin

                          Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set of lyrics
                          for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of Life" and
                          post it.

                        • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 7, 2007
                              On Feb 7, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                              > You do that, Bob, and I'll post all of "Joggin' with Jesus," by
                              > Hank Wangford.
                              >
                              > Meanwhile: http://www.hankwangford.com/
                              >
                              > Jeffery Hodges
                              >
                              > Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
                              > Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set
                              > of lyrics
                              > for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of
                              > Life" and
                              > post it.

                              Bob, Jeffrey,
                              Surely the more appropriate song to the authentic sayings of Jesus
                              comes from that grand song by Ray Stevens, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex
                              on His Television Show?" And yet some will surely reply with Janis
                              Joplin's, "Oh Lord, Want You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz;)!"

                              Gordon Raynal
                              Inman, SC