Re: [XTalk] Today

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
      On 04/02/07, Darrell Bock <DBockDTS@...> wrote:

      > Gang:
      >
      > Ok, would Jesus have attended or watched the Super Bowl? (I hope the
      > moderators will allow me a little frivolity)

      Well, Jesus often has a British accent in film depictions (Jesus of
      Nazareth, The Miracle Maker, The Gospel of John to name just three),
      so I doubt he would even know what "the superbowl" was. He'd be far
      too interested in the kind of "foot"ball that the British, Oh, and the
      majority of the world, play with their feet.

      Cheers
      Mark (an alien in America, not sure what to make of "Super Bowl Sunday")
      --
      Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
      Associate Professor

      http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
    • leeedgartyler@cox.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
        ---- Mark Goodacre <Goodacre@...> wrote:
        > On 04/02/07, Darrell Bock <DBockDTS@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Gang:
        > >
        > > Ok, would Jesus have attended or watched the Super Bowl? (I hope the
        > > moderators will allow me a little frivolity)
        >
        > Well, Jesus often has a British accent in film depictions (Jesus of
        > Nazareth, The Miracle Maker, The Gospel of John to name just three),
        > so I doubt he would even know what "the superbowl" was. He'd be far
        > too interested in the kind of "foot"ball that the British, Oh, and the
        > majority of the world, play with their feet.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Mark (an alien in America, not sure what to make of "Super Bowl Sunday")

        Somehow he strikes me as more of a cricket fan. And it's been suggested he had a hand in the recent English victory over the Australians in the SCG. Hard to account for it otherwise.

        Ed Tyler
      • Ken Olson
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
          Mark,

          The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong about Jesus knowledge of football:

          http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

          Actually, there is a "soccer" (to use the correct term) one too, as well as baseball, hockey and ballet--but they don't sell nearly as well.

          Best,

          Ken

          Kenneth A. Olson
          MA, History, University of Maryland
          PhD Student, Religion, Duke University

          > Ok, would Jesus have attended or watched the Super Bowl? (I hope the
          > moderators will allow me a little frivolity)

          Well, Jesus often has a British accent in film depictions (Jesus of
          Nazareth, The Miracle Maker, The Gospel of John to name just three),
          so I doubt he would even know what "the superbowl" was. He'd be far
          too interested in the kind of "foot"ball that the British, Oh, and the
          majority of the world, play with their feet.

          Cheers
          Mark (an alien in America, not sure what to make of "Super Bowl Sunday")
          --
          Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
          Associate Professor
          Duke University
          Department of Religion
          118 Gray Building / Box 90964
          Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
          Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530

          http://NTGateway.com/goodacre

        • león
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
            Watch this game . . .

            the winners get to play with the Apostles.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

            leon
          • John E Staton
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
              Ken,
              Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
              everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a
              game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor
              beats me!

              Best Wishes
              Penistone, Sheffield UK
              www.christianreflection.org.uk
            • Horace Jeffery Hodges
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin persona, intone: "It's a mystery."

                But Jesus would understand...

                Jeffery Hodges

                University Degrees:

                Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
                M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

                Email Address:

                jefferyhodges@...

                Blog:

                http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

                Office Address:

                Korea University
                136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
                Seoul
                South Korea

                Home Address:

                Sehan Apt. 102-2302
                Sinnae-dong 795
                Jungrang-gu
                Seoul 131-770
                South Korea

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                  My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
                  version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
                  think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:

                  The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
                  on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
                  point in that direction;)!

                  or

                  if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
                  "foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!

                  or

                  most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
                  really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
                  fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
                  the upcoming America's Cup race?]

                  but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
                  tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
                  which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
                  that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
                  football;)!

                  Gordon Raynal
                  Inman, SC

                  On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                  > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
                  > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
                  > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
                  > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
                  > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
                  > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
                  >
                  > But Jesus would understand...
                  >
                  > Jeffery Hodges

                • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                      Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the prophet
                      Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?) pomo
                      reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and American
                      football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations' after the
                      style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                      David Cook
                      Cranbrook School
                      Cranbrook Kent UK

                      >From: Gordon Raynal <scudi1@...>
                      >To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Re: Today
                      >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:57:15 -0500
                      >
                      >My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
                      >version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
                      >think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:
                      >
                      >The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
                      >on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
                      >point in that direction;)!
                      >
                      >or
                      >
                      >if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
                      >"foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!
                      >
                      >or
                      >
                      >most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
                      >really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
                      >fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
                      >the upcoming America's Cup race?]
                      >
                      >but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
                      >tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
                      >which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
                      >that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
                      >football;)!
                      >
                      >Gordon Raynal
                      >Inman, SC
                      >
                      >On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
                      >
                      > > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
                      > > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
                      > > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
                      > > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
                      > > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
                      > > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
                      > >
                      > > But Jesus would understand...
                      > >
                      > > Jeffery Hodges

                      http://www.msn.txt4content.com/
                    • Darrell Bock
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                        I had no idea that we could get so philosophical and historical about
                        all of this. Kudos to all of you for joining in. For those of you
                        fans of the "real football," just remember that "foot" is a part of
                        the whole body, so are hands. So both football and handball are not
                        what they seem by the name! Jesus spoke in mysterious aphorisms and
                        parables, so he would surely appreciate the name and what it represents.

                        Darrell Bock

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                          Hi David,

                          Mostly, I think the artifact expresses really cheesy poor taste;)!

                          Gordon Raynal
                          Inman, SC
                          On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:41 AM, david cook wrote:

                          > Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the
                          > prophet
                          > Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?)
                          > pomo
                          > reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and
                          > American
                          > football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations'
                          > after the
                          > style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                          > David Cook
                          > Cranbrook School
                          > Cranbrook Kent UK

                        • Mike Grondin
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                            --- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                            > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                            > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                            >
                            > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

                            Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                            meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:

                            "Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"

                            Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                            out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                            one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                            guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>

                            Mike Grondin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 6, 2007
                              At 09:32 AM 2/6/2007, Mike Grondin wrote:
                              >--- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                              > > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                              > > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                              > >
                              > > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html
                              >
                              >Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                              >meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:
                              >
                              >"Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"
                              >
                              >Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                              >out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                              >one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                              >guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>
                              >
                              >Mike Grondin

                              Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set of lyrics
                              for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of Life" and
                              post it.

                            • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 7, 2007
                                  On Feb 7, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                                  > You do that, Bob, and I'll post all of "Joggin' with Jesus," by
                                  > Hank Wangford.
                                  >
                                  > Meanwhile: http://www.hankwangford.com/
                                  >
                                  > Jeffery Hodges
                                  >
                                  > Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
                                  > Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set
                                  > of lyrics
                                  > for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of
                                  > Life" and
                                  > post it.

                                  Bob, Jeffrey,
                                  Surely the more appropriate song to the authentic sayings of Jesus
                                  comes from that grand song by Ray Stevens, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex
                                  on His Television Show?" And yet some will surely reply with Janis
                                  Joplin's, "Oh Lord, Want You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz;)!"

                                  Gordon Raynal
                                  Inman, SC