Today

  • Darrell Bock
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4 5:10 PM
      Gang:

      Ok, would Jesus have attended or watched the Super Bowl? (I hope the
      moderators will allow me a little frivolity)

      Darrell

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4 5:16 PM
        On 04/02/07, Darrell Bock <DBockDTS@...> wrote:

        > Gang:
        >
        > Ok, would Jesus have attended or watched the Super Bowl? (I hope the
        > moderators will allow me a little frivolity)

        Well, Jesus often has a British accent in film depictions (Jesus of
        Nazareth, The Miracle Maker, The Gospel of John to name just three),
        so I doubt he would even know what "the superbowl" was. He'd be far
        too interested in the kind of "foot"ball that the British, Oh, and the
        majority of the world, play with their feet.

        Cheers
        Mark (an alien in America, not sure what to make of "Super Bowl Sunday")
        --
        Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
        Associate Professor

        http://NTGateway.com/goodacre
      • leeedgartyler@cox.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4 5:34 PM
          ---- Mark Goodacre <Goodacre@...> wrote:
          > On 04/02/07, Darrell Bock <DBockDTS@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Gang:
          > >
          > > Ok, would Jesus have attended or watched the Super Bowl? (I hope the
          > > moderators will allow me a little frivolity)
          >
          > Well, Jesus often has a British accent in film depictions (Jesus of
          > Nazareth, The Miracle Maker, The Gospel of John to name just three),
          > so I doubt he would even know what "the superbowl" was. He'd be far
          > too interested in the kind of "foot"ball that the British, Oh, and the
          > majority of the world, play with their feet.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Mark (an alien in America, not sure what to make of "Super Bowl Sunday")

          Somehow he strikes me as more of a cricket fan. And it's been suggested he had a hand in the recent English victory over the Australians in the SCG. Hard to account for it otherwise.

          Ed Tyler
        • Ken Olson
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4 5:41 PM
            Mark,

            The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong about Jesus knowledge of football:

            http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

            Actually, there is a "soccer" (to use the correct term) one too, as well as baseball, hockey and ballet--but they don't sell nearly as well.

            Best,

            Ken

            Kenneth A. Olson
            MA, History, University of Maryland
            PhD Student, Religion, Duke University

            > Ok, would Jesus have attended or watched the Super Bowl? (I hope the
            > moderators will allow me a little frivolity)

            Well, Jesus often has a British accent in film depictions (Jesus of
            Nazareth, The Miracle Maker, The Gospel of John to name just three),
            so I doubt he would even know what "the superbowl" was. He'd be far
            too interested in the kind of "foot"ball that the British, Oh, and the
            majority of the world, play with their feet.

            Cheers
            Mark (an alien in America, not sure what to make of "Super Bowl Sunday")
            --
            Mark Goodacre Goodacre@...
            Associate Professor
            Duke University
            Department of Religion
            118 Gray Building / Box 90964
            Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
            Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530

            http://NTGateway.com/goodacre

          • león
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4 10:38 PM
              Watch this game . . .

              the winners get to play with the Apostles.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU

              leon
            • John E Staton
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5 2:51 PM
                Ken,
                Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
                everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a
                game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor
                beats me!

                Best Wishes
                Penistone, Sheffield UK
                www.christianreflection.org.uk
              • Horace Jeffery Hodges
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5 3:35 PM
                  John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin persona, intone: "It's a mystery."

                  But Jesus would understand...

                  Jeffery Hodges

                  University Degrees:

                  Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
                  M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

                  Email Address:

                  jefferyhodges@...

                  Blog:

                  http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

                  Office Address:

                  Korea University
                  136-701 Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu
                  Seoul
                  South Korea

                  Home Address:

                  Sehan Apt. 102-2302
                  Sinnae-dong 795
                  Jungrang-gu
                  Seoul 131-770
                  South Korea

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5 3:57 PM
                    My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
                    version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
                    think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:

                    The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
                    on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
                    point in that direction;)!

                    or

                    if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
                    "foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!

                    or

                    most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
                    really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
                    fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
                    the upcoming America's Cup race?]

                    but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
                    tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
                    which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
                    that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
                    football;)!

                    Gordon Raynal
                    Inman, SC

                    On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                    > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
                    > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
                    > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
                    > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
                    > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
                    > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
                    >
                    > But Jesus would understand...
                    >
                    > Jeffery Hodges

                  • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 6 3:41 AM
                        Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the prophet
                        Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?) pomo
                        reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and American
                        football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations' after the
                        style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                        David Cook
                        Cranbrook School
                        Cranbrook Kent UK

                        >From: Gordon Raynal <scudi1@...>
                        >To: crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [XTalk] Re: Today
                        >Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:57:15 -0500
                        >
                        >My, My;)! Such responses on "a historical list!" The American
                        >version of football wasn't invented until the 19th century... and I
                        >think at Yale! So, I guess what this suggests is one of the following:
                        >
                        >The Gnostics were right and Jesus didn't die on the cross, but lived
                        >on and on to enjoy such. Ken's iconographic evidence would seem to
                        >point in that direction;)!
                        >
                        >or
                        >
                        >if Jeffery is right then the hyper-Calvinists are right and he
                        >"foreknew it," but then what fun would there be in that;)!
                        >
                        >or
                        >
                        >most probably, the parabolic testimony has it right and what Jesus
                        >really enjoyed was fine dining, drinking vino and sailing and
                        >fishing:)! [so this leads to the question of who Jesus would favor in
                        >the upcoming America's Cup race?]
                        >
                        >but then, being thought of as "a glutton and drunkard and a friend to
                        >tax collectors and sinners," this brings up the question of exactly
                        >which team Jesus would favor. Considering my wife's testimony and
                        >that of several avid fans I know, then surely it would be LSU
                        >football;)!
                        >
                        >Gordon Raynal
                        >Inman, SC
                        >
                        >On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:35 PM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:
                        >
                        > > John E Staton <jestaton@...> wrote: Ken, Actually
                        > > "football" is the correct term this side of the Atlantic - and
                        > > everywhere else except the USA. And how one can describe as
                        > > "football" a game where the ball spends more time in players' hands
                        > > than on the floor beats me! To which I, adopting my George Carlin
                        > > persona, intone: "It's a mystery."
                        > >
                        > > But Jesus would understand...
                        > >
                        > > Jeffery Hodges

                        http://www.msn.txt4content.com/
                      • Darrell Bock
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 6 5:14 AM
                          I had no idea that we could get so philosophical and historical about
                          all of this. Kudos to all of you for joining in. For those of you
                          fans of the "real football," just remember that "foot" is a part of
                          the whole body, so are hands. So both football and handball are not
                          what they seem by the name! Jesus spoke in mysterious aphorisms and
                          parables, so he would surely appreciate the name and what it represents.

                          Darrell Bock

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 6 9:50 AM
                            Hi David,

                            Mostly, I think the artifact expresses really cheesy poor taste;)!

                            Gordon Raynal
                            Inman, SC
                            On Feb 6, 2007, at 6:41 AM, david cook wrote:

                            > Would not a simpler answer be that the artifact suggests that the
                            > prophet
                            > Joseph Smith was right - and that we need a careful (intratextual?)
                            > pomo
                            > reading of the Book of Mormon to seek further traces of Jesus and
                            > American
                            > football? Puns in reformed Egyptian - or just `mistranslations'
                            > after the
                            > style of C C Torrey could surely provide some `evidence'!
                            > David Cook
                            > Cranbrook School
                            > Cranbrook Kent UK

                          • Mike Grondin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 6 11:32 AM
                              --- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                              > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                              > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                              >
                              > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html

                              Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                              meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:

                              "Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"

                              Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                              out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                              one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                              guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>

                              Mike Grondin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 6 11:37 PM
                                At 09:32 AM 2/6/2007, Mike Grondin wrote:
                                >--- Ken Olson wrote to Mark:
                                > > The iconographic evidence suggests you're wrong
                                > > about Jesus knowledge of football:
                                > >
                                > > http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/football.html
                                >
                                >Yeah, but the accompanying interpretation of the
                                >meaning of the statue seems kinda funny:
                                >
                                >"Jesus is with us in everything we do, watching over us"
                                >
                                >Not sure whether J is taking a hand-off or blocking
                                >out the other guy, but he's definitely helping the
                                >one to the detriment of the other. I guess the other
                                >guy isn't part of "us". Maybe a non-Christian? <g>
                                >
                                >Mike Grondin

                                Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set of lyrics
                                for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of Life" and
                                post it.

                              • Horace Jeffery Hodges

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 7 4:37 AM
                                    On Feb 7, 2007, at 4:41 AM, Horace Jeffery Hodges wrote:

                                    > You do that, Bob, and I'll post all of "Joggin' with Jesus," by
                                    > Hank Wangford.
                                    >
                                    > Meanwhile: http://www.hankwangford.com/
                                    >
                                    > Jeffery Hodges
                                    >
                                    > Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:
                                    > Hey, if you guys keep this up, I'm gonna write out the whole set
                                    > of lyrics
                                    > for Paul Craft's "Drop Kick me, Jesus, through the Goal Posts of
                                    > Life" and
                                    > post it.

                                    Bob, Jeffrey,
                                    Surely the more appropriate song to the authentic sayings of Jesus
                                    comes from that grand song by Ray Stevens, "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex
                                    on His Television Show?" And yet some will surely reply with Janis
                                    Joplin's, "Oh Lord, Want You Buy Me a Mercedes Benz;)!"

                                    Gordon Raynal
                                    Inman, SC