Witnesses

  • John E Staton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2007
      Jeff wrote; "I suspect that the appearance to 500 differs from the
      others in Paul's
      list as being a non-commissioning appearance (i.e., there weren't
      500 who
      were regarded as called to the apostolate) but an extraordinary
      experience
      remembered from the early days of the church (sometimes thought of
      as also
      behind Acts 2)."

      Actually, I think *Paul* did think they were all commissioned to the
      apostolate. I don't think many other people agreed with him. The
      criteria in Acts 1 (including being with Jesus from the beginning) seem
      to be more what *most* of the church believed. But this left Paul out.
      *He* only had a resurrection appearance (and doubtless some questioned
      even that), so it would appear *he* had a somewhat wider idea of what
      constituted an apostle. Paul's view did not win the day, however. What
      did happen is that Paul was added to the list as an anomaly, and then
      became (after the time we are discussing) *the* apostle.

      Best Wishes

      Penistone, Sheffield UK
      www.christianreflection.org.uk