[XTalk] Re: Re; refuting bad apologetics

  • león
    Message 1 of 65 , Jan 25, 2007
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "John Sabatino" <taurus78@...> wrote:

      > the question revolves so much around what constitutes proper history
      - and,
      > though there may be a "history" to the debate about historical
      methodology,
      > this is essentially a philosophical question, not a historical question
      > (i.e. you can't really answer the question of "how" to do proper
      history by
      > appealing to history done properly in the past, without begging the
      > question) .

      Listers might be interested in listening to a panel discussion that i
      found on the "history" of historiographical methodology from Milt
      Rosenberg's show on WGNR (Chicago) from 9 January 2007.

      http://wgnradio.com/shows/ex720/audio/index.html

      (click on the link "History of History")

      Although not specifically on the topic of the historical Jesus, it
      tangentially touches on some of the topics in this thread.

      peace

      r. leon santiago
      avid hiker
    • Mike Grondin
      Message 65 of 65 , Jan 31, 2007
        --- James McGrath wrote:
        > As for other things that we can say about the burial,
        > I will direct those interested to the section "Jesus'
        > Dishonorable Burial" on my web site at
        > http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/jesus/cross.htm#burial

        Thanks, James. I learned much from reading that. Two
        items in particular: one a link to an article by Byron
        McCane that was published in Chilton and Evans,
        _Authenticating the Activities of Jesus_, online at
        http://members.tripod.com/enoch2112/ByronBurial.htm.
        For those who aren't comfortable with Crossan's degree
        of skepticism, such as expressed in his "Maybe, but
        only the barest maybe" quoted in my earlier note,
        McCane's article is a well-balanced (or so ISTM)
        argument for giving a larger degree of probability
        to the possibility that someone among the Judean
        leadership (probably not a Jesus-sympathisizer,
        though) made request for the body (albeit probably
        for a shameful burial).

        The other item is connected with this. It's from
        a speech attributed to Paul in Acts 13:27-29, which
        implies that "those who live in Jerusalem and their
        rulers" were those who "took him down from the cross
        and laid him in a tomb". You'd think that Crossan
        could have used that to support his contention that
        that was the earliest Christian belief (based on his
        stratification of the Gospel of Peter), but he seems
        not to have done so. (He quotes Acts 13:27-33 in
        the "Trial" chapter of WKJ, but I see no reference
        to it in his "Burial" chapter.)

        Mike Grondin