Roman "Travel Passes"

  • Bryan Cox
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2007
      While reading the correspondence between Pliny the Younger and the
      Roman emperor Trajan, I noticed several references to "travel passes"
      that were needed for journeys. I know nothing more about these "travel
      passes" than what is mentioned in these letters.

      Does anyone here know more about these "travel passes", when they were
      instituted, to what kinds of travel they pertained, and what
      punishments were enacted upon those who were found to be without them?
      Any good reference works mentioning the subject in some detail would be
      greatly appreciated.

      To tie this back to Christian origins, I am curious whether such passes
      would have been required of Paul and the earliest Christians on their
      travels into and through asia minor.

      Thanks,
      Bryan Cox
      Plano, Tx
    • Roger Pearse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2007
        These are passes to use the imperial post as a transport system. I
        seem to remember complaints that so many councils were held in the
        late empire with bishops allowed to use the system to go to them that
        the system began to collapse. Unfortunately I don't recall the
        reference.

        All the best,

        Roger Pearse

      • goranson@duke.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2007
          I think the following has some relevant information:
          Casson, Lionel
          Travel in the Ancient World (London, 1974)

          best,
          Stephen Goranson
          http://www.duke.edu?~goranson