Re: [XTalk] Jesus and angels

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
      At 02:41 PM 1/14/2007, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      >Bob Schacht wrote:
      >
      > > At 01:20 PM 1/14/2007, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
      > > >I'm in the middle of writing a piece on Jesus and angels and it suddenly
      > > >struck me that I know little about the first century Jewish concept(s)
      > > >of the origin(s) of angels.
      > > >
      > > >I would assume that this is something alluded to or stated in the
      > > >Pseudepigrapha, the DSS, and/or in Rabbinic literature. But if so,
      > > >where?
      > >
      > > Depends on what you mean by "angels."
      >
      >Divine messengers like Gabriel and heavenly protectors like Michael.

      If you look in the ABD under MICHAEL (ANGEL), you will find that an
      "elaborate angelology emerged in Judaism during the Hellenistic period."
      You will also find a bunch of references there to 1 Enoch, as I suspected.
      The article is by Duane Watson, and I think you will find it useful.

      Bob

    • Avbcl111@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
        Jeffrey,

        Here is one...

        "And the angel of the presence spoke to Moses by the word of the Lord,
        saying, "Write the whole account of creation, that in six days the Lord God
        completed all his work and all he created. And he observed a sabbath the seventh
        day, and he sanctified it for all ages. And he set it (as) a sign for all his
        works. For on the first day he created the heavens, which are above, and the
        earth, and the waters and all of the spirits which minister before him:

        the angels of presence,
        the angels of santification,
        and the angels of spirit of fire,
        and the angels of the spirit of the winds,
        and the angels of the spirit of the clouds and darkness and snow and hail
        and frost,
        and the angels of resoundings and thunder and lightning,
        and the angels of the spirits of cold and heat and winter and springtime and
        harvest and summer,
        and all of the spirits of his creatures which are in heaven and on earth."
        (Jubilees 2:1-2)

        Hope that helps. That's all I can remember from my Dead Sea Scrolls course,
        but I can try to look for some more if you want.

        God bless,
        Apolonio Latar
        Rutgers Student

      • dagoi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
          Try 1 Enoch

          Bill

          In a message dated 1/14/7 11:33:58 PM, Jeffrey wrote:

          <<I'm in the middle of writing a piece on Jesus and angels and it suddenly
          struck me that I know little about the first century Jewish concept(s)
          of the origin(s) of angels.

          I would assume that this is something alluded to or stated in the
          Pseudepigrapha, the DSS, and/or in Rabbinic literature. But if so,
          where?

          Help on this will be much appreciated.

          Yours,

          Jeffrey>>