Re: Jesus and angels

  • afsegal
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
      If you mean angels in Christology, I would start with April D.
      Deconick, ed. Paradise Now, just published through SBL. If you
      mean, angels in general, I would begin with an encyclopedia article.

      Best,

      Alan

      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
        At 01:20 PM 1/14/2007, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
        >I'm in the middle of writing a piece on Jesus and angels and it suddenly
        >struck me that I know little about the first century Jewish concept(s)
        >of the origin(s) of angels.
        >
        >I would assume that this is something alluded to or stated in the
        >Pseudepigrapha, the DSS, and/or in Rabbinic literature. But if so,
        >where?

        Depends on what you mean by "angels."
        I'd check the Enochian literature, and Middle Platonism in general.
        There was Intertestamental literature regarding Genesis 6.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
          Bob Schacht wrote:

          > At 01:20 PM 1/14/2007, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
          > >I'm in the middle of writing a piece on Jesus and angels and it suddenly
          > >struck me that I know little about the first century Jewish concept(s)
          > >of the origin(s) of angels.
          > >
          > >I would assume that this is something alluded to or stated in the
          > >Pseudepigrapha, the DSS, and/or in Rabbinic literature. But if so,
          > >where?
          >
          > Depends on what you mean by "angels."

          Divine messengers like Gabriel and heavenly protectors like Michael.

          > I'd check the Enochian literature, and Middle Platonism in general.
          > There was Intertestamental literature regarding Genesis 6.

          Thanks!

          I note that Psalm 148:2 and Nehemiah 9 speak of their creation by God. ; Job
          38:1,4,7 speaks of their "pre-existence" and divine creation.

          Are these themes echoed anywhere else in canonical and non canonical second temple
          Jewish literature?

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mail jgibson000@...
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
            At 02:41 PM 1/14/2007, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

            >Bob Schacht wrote:
            >
            > > At 01:20 PM 1/14/2007, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
            > > >I'm in the middle of writing a piece on Jesus and angels and it suddenly
            > > >struck me that I know little about the first century Jewish concept(s)
            > > >of the origin(s) of angels.
            > > >
            > > >I would assume that this is something alluded to or stated in the
            > > >Pseudepigrapha, the DSS, and/or in Rabbinic literature. But if so,
            > > >where?
            > >
            > > Depends on what you mean by "angels."
            >
            >Divine messengers like Gabriel and heavenly protectors like Michael.

            If you look in the ABD under MICHAEL (ANGEL), you will find that an
            "elaborate angelology emerged in Judaism during the Hellenistic period."
            You will also find a bunch of references there to 1 Enoch, as I suspected.
            The article is by Duane Watson, and I think you will find it useful.

            Bob

          • Avbcl111@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 14, 2007
              Jeffrey,

              Here is one...

              "And the angel of the presence spoke to Moses by the word of the Lord,
              saying, "Write the whole account of creation, that in six days the Lord God
              completed all his work and all he created. And he observed a sabbath the seventh
              day, and he sanctified it for all ages. And he set it (as) a sign for all his
              works. For on the first day he created the heavens, which are above, and the
              earth, and the waters and all of the spirits which minister before him:

              the angels of presence,
              the angels of santification,
              and the angels of spirit of fire,
              and the angels of the spirit of the winds,
              and the angels of the spirit of the clouds and darkness and snow and hail
              and frost,
              and the angels of resoundings and thunder and lightning,
              and the angels of the spirits of cold and heat and winter and springtime and
              harvest and summer,
              and all of the spirits of his creatures which are in heaven and on earth."
              (Jubilees 2:1-2)

              Hope that helps. That's all I can remember from my Dead Sea Scrolls course,
              but I can try to look for some more if you want.

              God bless,
              Apolonio Latar
              Rutgers Student

            • dagoi@aol.com