Re: [XTalk] The Gospel of Judas: Meyer vs. Robinson

  • Mike Grondin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
      Jack,

      This interested observer finds himself in complete
      agreement with you and Rikk that it's scandalous
      that any reputable scholar would impute any degree
      of historicity whatsoever to the Gospel of Judas. In
      related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own
      "Gospel of Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent
      Australian biblical scholar", and audio version by
      Desmond Tutu, of all people:

      http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1822812.htm

      Not that I blame these folks for trying to make money
      off the fad, mind you. It was the original "owner"
      trying to make millions off the manuscript while letting
      it deteriorate unpreserved and loosely handled over 15
      years who's one of the culprits here.

      BTW, why do you say "probably originally from Nag Hammadi"?
      I've read two accounts of its provenance, one says middle
      Egypt, the other upper, but the upper Egypt account doesn't
      mention Nag Hammadi as being near the supposed find.

      Regards,
      Mike Grondin
    • John E Staton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
        Mike Grondin wrote:
        "In related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own "Gospel of
        Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent Australian biblical scholar",
        and audio version by Desmond Tutu, of all people:"

        If the Jeffrey Archer referred to is the British novelist and former
        politician, at least he knows something about betrayal! Oops, should I
        say things like that on this list? :-)

        Best Wishes and a Happy New Year.

        Penistone, Sheffield UK
        www.christianreflection.org.uk