Re: [XTalk] The Gospel of Judas: Meyer vs. Robinson

  • Rikk Watts
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
      Indeed. I'm flummoxed as to why Meyer said what he did.

      Regards
      Rikk

      >>> html>http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?tra
      >>> ck
      >>> =tothtml
      >>>

      >>> Bob Schacht

      >>> The XTalk Home Page is http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/
      >>>
      >>> To subscribe to Xtalk, send an e-mail to:
      >>> crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      >>> List managers may be contacted directly at:
      >>> crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
      >>>

      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>>

      >> The XTalk Home Page is http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/
      >>
      >> To subscribe to Xtalk, send an e-mail to:
      >> crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      >> List managers may be contacted directly at:
      >> crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

      > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Grondin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
        Jack,

        This interested observer finds himself in complete
        agreement with you and Rikk that it's scandalous
        that any reputable scholar would impute any degree
        of historicity whatsoever to the Gospel of Judas. In
        related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own
        "Gospel of Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent
        Australian biblical scholar", and audio version by
        Desmond Tutu, of all people:

        http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1822812.htm

        Not that I blame these folks for trying to make money
        off the fad, mind you. It was the original "owner"
        trying to make millions off the manuscript while letting
        it deteriorate unpreserved and loosely handled over 15
        years who's one of the culprits here.

        BTW, why do you say "probably originally from Nag Hammadi"?
        I've read two accounts of its provenance, one says middle
        Egypt, the other upper, but the upper Egypt account doesn't
        mention Nag Hammadi as being near the supposed find.

        Regards,
        Mike Grondin
      • John E Staton
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
          Mike Grondin wrote:
          "In related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own "Gospel of
          Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent Australian biblical scholar",
          and audio version by Desmond Tutu, of all people:"

          If the Jeffrey Archer referred to is the British novelist and former
          politician, at least he knows something about betrayal! Oops, should I
          say things like that on this list? :-)

          Best Wishes and a Happy New Year.

          Penistone, Sheffield UK
          www.christianreflection.org.uk