Re: [XTalk] The Gospel of Judas: Meyer vs. Robinson

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
      Rikk, I don't understand why any serious Jesus researcher would put any more
      stock in the Gospel of Judas as in the Gospel of Mary and other fantasy
      Gnostic inventions. I think the only reason this ONE text (probably
      originally from Nag Hammadi) is getting more press and hype than the other
      Nag Hammadi texts is the latest highly commercial fad/craze brought about by
      the Da Vinci Code hoax.

      Jack Kilmon

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
        Indeed. I'm flummoxed as to why Meyer said what he did.

        Regards
        Rikk

      • Mike Grondin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
          Jack,

          This interested observer finds himself in complete
          agreement with you and Rikk that it's scandalous
          that any reputable scholar would impute any degree
          of historicity whatsoever to the Gospel of Judas. In
          related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own
          "Gospel of Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent
          Australian biblical scholar", and audio version by
          Desmond Tutu, of all people:

          http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1822812.htm

          Not that I blame these folks for trying to make money
          off the fad, mind you. It was the original "owner"
          trying to make millions off the manuscript while letting
          it deteriorate unpreserved and loosely handled over 15
          years who's one of the culprits here.

          BTW, why do you say "probably originally from Nag Hammadi"?
          I've read two accounts of its provenance, one says middle
          Egypt, the other upper, but the upper Egypt account doesn't
          mention Nag Hammadi as being near the supposed find.

          Regards,
          Mike Grondin
        • John E Staton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
            Mike Grondin wrote:
            "In related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own "Gospel of
            Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent Australian biblical scholar",
            and audio version by Desmond Tutu, of all people:"

            If the Jeffrey Archer referred to is the British novelist and former
            politician, at least he knows something about betrayal! Oops, should I
            say things like that on this list? :-)

            Best Wishes and a Happy New Year.

            Penistone, Sheffield UK
            www.christianreflection.org.uk