Re: [XTalk] The Gospel of Judas: Meyer vs. Robinson

  • Rikk Watts
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
      Bob,

      I was interested in: "Meyer said the world was better off with the new
      Judas, who "was someone who understood Jesus better than any other apostle,"
      and who was anything but the traitor reviled by anti-Semitic church
      officials for centuries."

      A new criterion for historical Jesus research..
      - making the world a better place

      Rikk Watts (a belated happy new year!)

      On 6/1/07 11:03 PM, "Bob Schacht" <r_schacht@...> wrote:

      > The L.A. Times has an interesting review of the contretemps between
      > Robinson and Meyer over the National Geographic's publication of the Gospel
      > of Judas last year.
      > <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track=tot
      > html>http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track
      > =tothtml
      >

      > Bob Schacht
      >

      >> <http://email.latimes.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/hBF580IU88P0G2B0IDwr0El>Was it
      >> virtue or betrayal?
      >>

      >> By Louis Sahagun
      >>

      >> A Gnostic scholar's secret involvement in a National Geographic project on
      >> Judas strains his relationship with his old friend and mentor.

      > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
        Rikk, I don't understand why any serious Jesus researcher would put any more
        stock in the Gospel of Judas as in the Gospel of Mary and other fantasy
        Gnostic inventions. I think the only reason this ONE text (probably
        originally from Nag Hammadi) is getting more press and hype than the other
        Nag Hammadi texts is the latest highly commercial fad/craze brought about by
        the Da Vinci Code hoax.

        Jack Kilmon

        > I was interested in: "Meyer said the world was better off with the new
        > Judas, who "was someone who understood Jesus better than any other
        > apostle,"
        > and who was anything but the traitor reviled by anti-Semitic church
        > officials for centuries."
        >
        > A new criterion for historical Jesus research..
        > - making the world a better place
        >
        > Rikk Watts (a belated happy new year!)
        >

        > On 6/1/07 11:03 PM, "Bob Schacht" <r_schacht@...> wrote:
        >
        >> The L.A. Times has an interesting review of the contretemps between
        >> Robinson and Meyer over the National Geographic's publication of the
        >> Gospel
        >> of Judas last year.
        >> <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track=tot
        >> html>http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track
        >> =tothtml
        >>

        >> Bob Schacht
        >>

        >>> <http://email.latimes.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/hBF580IU88P0G2B0IDwr0El>Was it
        >>> virtue or betrayal?
        >>>

        >>> By Louis Sahagun
        >>>

        >>> A Gnostic scholar's secret involvement in a National Geographic project
        >>> on
        >>> Judas strains his relationship with his old friend and mentor.

        >> The XTalk Home Page is http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/
        >>
        >> To subscribe to Xtalk, send an e-mail to:
        >> crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        >> List managers may be contacted directly at:
        >> crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >>

        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > List managers may be contacted directly at:
        > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Rikk Watts
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
          Indeed. I'm flummoxed as to why Meyer said what he did.

          Regards
          Rikk

        • Mike Grondin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
            Jack,

            This interested observer finds himself in complete
            agreement with you and Rikk that it's scandalous
            that any reputable scholar would impute any degree
            of historicity whatsoever to the Gospel of Judas. In
            related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own
            "Gospel of Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent
            Australian biblical scholar", and audio version by
            Desmond Tutu, of all people:

            http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1822812.htm

            Not that I blame these folks for trying to make money
            off the fad, mind you. It was the original "owner"
            trying to make millions off the manuscript while letting
            it deteriorate unpreserved and loosely handled over 15
            years who's one of the culprits here.

            BTW, why do you say "probably originally from Nag Hammadi"?
            I've read two accounts of its provenance, one says middle
            Egypt, the other upper, but the upper Egypt account doesn't
            mention Nag Hammadi as being near the supposed find.

            Regards,
            Mike Grondin
          • John E Staton
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
              Mike Grondin wrote:
              "In related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own "Gospel of
              Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent Australian biblical scholar",
              and audio version by Desmond Tutu, of all people:"

              If the Jeffrey Archer referred to is the British novelist and former
              politician, at least he knows something about betrayal! Oops, should I
              say things like that on this list? :-)

              Best Wishes and a Happy New Year.

              Penistone, Sheffield UK
              www.christianreflection.org.uk