Re: [XTalk] The Gospel of Judas: Meyer vs. Robinson

  • Jeff Peterson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
      It's an interesting, somewhat depressing story. By my lights neither
      Robinson nor Meyer covers himself with glory (assuming the Times
      reporting is accurate). With regard to Meyer, it's hard to imagine a
      situation in which being extended such an offer I wouldn't ask a
      mentor and colleague, "I've been asked by a major publisher to
      prepare an edition of a hitherto unavailable text that will attract a
      lot of interest on condition of strict confidentiality until it's
      ready for release; how would you handle this?" And Meyer's email to
      Robinson seems unnecessarily curt.

      On the other hand, it's hard to see substance in Robinson's charge
      that Meyer was involved in a scholarly embargo in any way comparable
      to the Scrolls fiasco; the text was published expeditiously and is
      now available for Robinson or anyone else to engage, dispute, etc.
      It's hard to shake the suspicion that the basis of the complaint is
      that Meyer made a bundle off the enterprise (the reward of his
      reputation based on previous scholarly contributions), which neither
      Robinson nor any other scholar was in a position to share in. And if
      Robinson didn't have permission to reveal the contents of Meyer's
      unnecessarily curt email, publicizing it is a betrayal of friendship
      on Robinson's part.

      Scholars of Christianity are wont to mock televangelists for using
      religion as a means to fame and riches, and (Billy Graham excepted)
      they are often eminently mockable, but it's helpful to be reminded
      that the passions animating them are the common inheritance of
      humanity. I'm off to church to repent of my own sins.

      All best,

      Jeff Peterson

      On Jan 7, 2007, at 1:03 AM, Bob Schacht wrote:

      > The L.A. Times has an interesting review of the contretemps between
      > Robinson and Meyer over the National Geographic's publication of
      > the Gospel
      > of Judas last year.
      > <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-
      > judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track=tothtml>http://www.latimes.com/
      > news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track=tothtml
      >
      > Bob Schacht
      >

      > ><http://email.latimes.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/
      > hBF580IU88P0G2B0IDwr0El>Was it
      > >virtue or betrayal?
      > >

      > >By Louis Sahagun
      > >

      > >A Gnostic scholar's secret involvement in a National Geographic
      > project on
      > >Judas strains his relationship with his old friend and mentor.

    • Rikk Watts
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
        Bob,

        I was interested in: "Meyer said the world was better off with the new
        Judas, who "was someone who understood Jesus better than any other apostle,"
        and who was anything but the traitor reviled by anti-Semitic church
        officials for centuries."

        A new criterion for historical Jesus research..
        - making the world a better place

        Rikk Watts (a belated happy new year!)

        On 6/1/07 11:03 PM, "Bob Schacht" <r_schacht@...> wrote:

        > The L.A. Times has an interesting review of the contretemps between
        > Robinson and Meyer over the National Geographic's publication of the Gospel
        > of Judas last year.
        > <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track=tot
        > html>http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track
        > =tothtml
        >

        > Bob Schacht
        >

        >> <http://email.latimes.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/hBF580IU88P0G2B0IDwr0El>Was it
        >> virtue or betrayal?
        >>

        >> By Louis Sahagun
        >>

        >> A Gnostic scholar's secret involvement in a National Geographic project on
        >> Judas strains his relationship with his old friend and mentor.

        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
          Rikk, I don't understand why any serious Jesus researcher would put any more
          stock in the Gospel of Judas as in the Gospel of Mary and other fantasy
          Gnostic inventions. I think the only reason this ONE text (probably
          originally from Nag Hammadi) is getting more press and hype than the other
          Nag Hammadi texts is the latest highly commercial fad/craze brought about by
          the Da Vinci Code hoax.

          Jack Kilmon

          > I was interested in: "Meyer said the world was better off with the new
          > Judas, who "was someone who understood Jesus better than any other
          > apostle,"
          > and who was anything but the traitor reviled by anti-Semitic church
          > officials for centuries."
          >
          > A new criterion for historical Jesus research..
          > - making the world a better place
          >
          > Rikk Watts (a belated happy new year!)
          >

          > On 6/1/07 11:03 PM, "Bob Schacht" <r_schacht@...> wrote:
          >
          >> The L.A. Times has an interesting review of the contretemps between
          >> Robinson and Meyer over the National Geographic's publication of the
          >> Gospel
          >> of Judas last year.
          >> <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track=tot
          >> html>http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-judas6jan06,0,1321053.story?track
          >> =tothtml
          >>

          >> Bob Schacht
          >>

          >>> <http://email.latimes.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/hBF580IU88P0G2B0IDwr0El>Was it
          >>> virtue or betrayal?
          >>>

          >>> By Louis Sahagun
          >>>

          >>> A Gnostic scholar's secret involvement in a National Geographic project
          >>> on
          >>> Judas strains his relationship with his old friend and mentor.

          >> The XTalk Home Page is http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/
          >>
          >> To subscribe to Xtalk, send an e-mail to:
          >> crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          >> List managers may be contacted directly at:
          >> crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >>

          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > List managers may be contacted directly at:
          > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rikk Watts
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
            Indeed. I'm flummoxed as to why Meyer said what he did.

            Regards
            Rikk

          • Mike Grondin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
              Jack,

              This interested observer finds himself in complete
              agreement with you and Rikk that it's scandalous
              that any reputable scholar would impute any degree
              of historicity whatsoever to the Gospel of Judas. In
              related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own
              "Gospel of Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent
              Australian biblical scholar", and audio version by
              Desmond Tutu, of all people:

              http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200701/s1822812.htm

              Not that I blame these folks for trying to make money
              off the fad, mind you. It was the original "owner"
              trying to make millions off the manuscript while letting
              it deteriorate unpreserved and loosely handled over 15
              years who's one of the culprits here.

              BTW, why do you say "probably originally from Nag Hammadi"?
              I've read two accounts of its provenance, one says middle
              Egypt, the other upper, but the upper Egypt account doesn't
              mention Nag Hammadi as being near the supposed find.

              Regards,
              Mike Grondin
            • John E Staton
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2007
                Mike Grondin wrote:
                "In related news, Jeffrey Archer has now written his own "Gospel of
                Judas" - with assistance from "an eminent Australian biblical scholar",
                and audio version by Desmond Tutu, of all people:"

                If the Jeffrey Archer referred to is the British novelist and former
                politician, at least he knows something about betrayal! Oops, should I
                say things like that on this list? :-)

                Best Wishes and a Happy New Year.

                Penistone, Sheffield UK
                www.christianreflection.org.uk