Re: [XTalk] Davidic genealogies, Eusebius and Anti-Roman Imperialism

  • Ken Olson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2006
      Douglas,

      This material is thought to come to Eusebius through Hegesippus, his source for much of the late first and second century traditions about Judea. There's a reasonable amount of scholarly literature on Hegesippus out there and he gets an entry in many standard reference works like the Anchor Bible Dictionary. For online material, you could look at Peter Kirby's Early Christian Writings site:

      http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/hegesippus.html

      Best,

      Ken

      Kenneth A. Olson
      MA, History, University of Maryland
      PhD Student, Religion, Duke University

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
        For what it may or may not be worth, one option is that Eusebius has a
        misunderstood version of an account of a search for followers of Jesus and Bar
        Kochba (which, if so, still leaves historical questions).

        Stephen Goranson
        http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
      • RAnderson58@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2006
          Douglas Horst,

          Josephus has a discussion of the destruction of records of indebtedness that occurred when rioters
          took over control of the temple. Genealogies could have aalso been destroyed at this time.

          Richard H. Anderson