Re: [XTalk] Dead Sea Scrolls online? the Open Scrolls project

  • Peter Kirby
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
      > Hi Peter,
      >
      > Do I get paid for the work I already did????

      I don't see why not, if you are willing to become one of the translators
      / transcribers when the Open Scrolls project officially launches. Just
      resubmit the translation work you had done at that time.
      > Who uses the site? There are plenty of translations of the DSS around.
      >
      > Liz Fried
      The Accordance software's translation, transcription, and index costs $120.

      The Logos software's transcription costs $80.

      The hardcopy books edited by Florentino García Martínez cost about $100
      and cannot be searched.

      There are other costs associated with getting Accordance or Logos up and
      running, usually some several hundred dollars. Many people do not have
      several hundred dollars to spend on getting the Dead Sea Scrolls
      searchable and available in the original language.

      The advantages of the Open Scrolls project are that the result would:

      * Be free.
      * Include a transcription (critical text).
      * Include a translation (not even this is on the Internet at present).
      * Searchable at OpenScrolls.org or at any other site choosing to host it.
      * Integrated with popular free and low-cost Bible software packages (the
      free "Sword" softwares, and the various ones you see on the shelf for
      $50 or less)

      I think that this more than justifies the project.

      regards,
      Peter Kirby