Re: [XTalk] Peter Jeffery on Morton Smith's False Manuscript

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
      At 06:30 AM 11/16/2006 -0500, goranson@... wrote:
      >The book is not free of
      >errors; on page 2 Jeffery says Smith got his "second doctorate" at Hebrew
      >University, but that 1945 degree was before his 1957 Harvard Th.D.

      Jeffery gets it right on p. 150, so it might be some kind of lapse.
      Perhaps not a lapse but an error in his source, Jeffery reports on
      p. 150 that Smith's first name is "Robert." According to my sources,
      including U.S. Census records, the first name is actually "Rupert,"
      the same first name as his father, Rupert Henry Smith.

      >In any case, this is a learned and lively book
      >that, in my view, shows even more than before that Smith wrote the Letter with
      >Secret Mark.

      Stephen
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...