Re: [XTalk] Jesus the Mendicant?

  • Tony Buglass
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
      Jack Kilmon wrote:
      I think Jesus was from a wealthy family...may have been the contrite
      "prodigal son" whose mission was a family enterprise.

      Interesting. For years, I heard folk talk about Joseph having his own business, so in British terms he'd be sort of well-off middle-class-ish (the kind of interpretations you'd get from middle-class Brits, I suppose - stuck out a bit for me as a definitely working-class Brit, at least in my origins!) Then I read Crossan, talking about ceramics as evidence for the growth of local industry in urbanisation and loss of land, ie landless peasants had to earn their way through a trade. That meant that carpentry wasn't an indication of prosperity and higher social class, rather of a landless refugee family having to make their way. Now, you're suggesting he wasn't from a poor peasant background, but a wealthy one. Back to where we started from?

      I suppose Joseph could have done very nicely out of his enforced trade - especially if he profitted from the growth of the new cities at Sepphoris and Tiberias. But Nazareth in the 20s was a very poor place, if the reconstructions in Crossan and Reed "Excavating Jesus" are anything to go by. Capernaum was obviously the place to be - so how does the theory of a wealthy clan fit in with theories of origins in Nazareth?

      I'm intrigued to see how this new angle illuminates the story...

      Cheers,
      Rev Tony Buglass
      Superintendent Minister
      Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 20, 2006
          Jack wrote:

          So we learn that Matthew and James were the sons of Clopas/Alphaeus and his
          wife Mary.

          John: What leads you to equate Matthew with Levi, son of Alphaeus?

          Thx,

          John Sabatino

          Austin, TX

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 2006
            > So we learn that Matthew and James were the sons of Clopas/Alphaeus and
            > his
            > wife Mary.
            >

            > John: What leads you to equate Matthew with Levi, son of Alphaeus?
            >

            > Thx,
            >
            > John Sabatino
            >
            > Austin, TX

            Mark 2:14, Luke 5:27 and then Matrthew 9:9. Also Jerome, Preface to the
            Commentaries on Matthew:

            The first evangelist is Matthew, the publican, who was surnamed Levi. He
            published his Gospel in Jud├Ža in the Hebrew language, chiefly for the sake
            of Jewish believers in Christ, who adhered in vain to the shadow of the law,
            although the substance of the Gospel had come.

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            San Antonio, Texas
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 24, 2006
              > I think Jesus was from a wealthy family...may have been the contrite
              > "prodigal son" whose mission was a family enterprise.
              >
              > Interesting. For years, I heard folk talk about Joseph having his own
              > business, so in British terms he'd be sort of well-off middle-class-ish
              > (the kind of interpretations you'd get from middle-class Brits, I
              > suppose - stuck out a bit for me as a definitely working-class Brit, at
              > least in my origins!) Then I read Crossan, talking about ceramics as
              > evidence for the growth of local industry in urbanisation and loss of
              > land, ie landless peasants had to earn their way through a trade. That
              > meant that carpentry wasn't an indication of prosperity and higher social
              > class, rather of a landless refugee family having to make their way. Now,
              > you're suggesting he wasn't from a poor peasant background, but a wealthy
              > one. Back to where we started from?
              >
              > I suppose Joseph could have done very nicely out of his enforced trade -
              > especially if he profitted from the growth of the new cities at Sepphoris
              > and Tiberias. But Nazareth in the 20s was a very poor place, if the
              > reconstructions in Crossan and Reed "Excavating Jesus" are anything to go
              > by. Capernaum was obviously the place to be - so how does the theory of a
              > wealthy clan fit in with theories of origins in Nazareth?
              >
              > I'm intrigued to see how this new angle illuminates the story...
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Rev Tony Buglass
              > Superintendent Minister
              > Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

              If the residence in Nazareth is historical and not an historicized Matthean
              error (There is no prophecy in the OT that the Messiah would be called a
              Nazarene) or a play on the "branch" (Netser) from the stump of Jesse in
              Isaiah, the only advantage for living there would be its close proximity to
              Sepphoris. Many building projects in Sepphoris at the time of Jesus' youth
              would have kept a building contractor lucratively busy. According to the
              Protevangelium of James, Sepphoris was the residence of Jesus maternal
              grandparents. These building projects would have begun in the rebuilding
              of Sepphoris by Antipas until late in 4 BCE given the city's destruction
              earlier that year by Varus. Stone masonry was one of the skills of a tekton
              and Nazareth is known for its ancient stone quarry. It would have made more
              sense to live near the stone resource and cart the quarried blocks to
              Sepphoris. I look to "stonemason's language" as in Matthew 16:18 and the
              stone/cornerstone language of Mt. 21:42/Mk12:10 and GoT #66. Perhaps the
              carpentry and stone mason's hand can be found when splitting wood and
              lifting stone (GoT #77).

              Jack

              Jack Kilmon
              San Antonio, Texas