Re: [XTalk] Re: One in the eye for an unjust judge

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
      Gordon Raynal wrote:

      > I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target. Road Runner
      > and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
      > ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
      > (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
      > etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
      > stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
      > writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
      > it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
      > widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
      > oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
      > concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
      > brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
      > God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
      > distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
      > NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and again!

      FWIW, Wendy Cotter, the author of the article now under discussion, is a friend of
      mine (and who incidentally, also happens to live half a mile from me). I'll ask
      her if she wants to come on board and join this discussion.

      Jeffrey

      P.S. I'm still waiting for responses from XTalkers about attendance at SBL.

      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 7, 2006
        Hi Jeffrey,
        Will be interested in her comments.
        See you in a couple of weeks.
        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC
        On Nov 6, 2006, at 7:20 PM, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        > Gordon Raynal wrote:
        >
        >> I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target.
        >> Road Runner
        >> and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
        >> ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
        >> (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
        >> etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
        >> stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
        >> writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
        >> it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
        >> widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
        >> oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
        >> concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
        >> brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
        >> God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
        >> distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
        >> NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and
        >> again!
        >
        > FWIW, Wendy Cotter, the author of the article now under discussion,
        > is a friend of
        > mine (and who incidentally, also happens to live half a mile from
        > me). I'll ask
        > her if she wants to come on board and join this discussion.
        >
        > Jeffrey
        >
        > P.S. I'm still waiting for responses from XTalkers about
        > attendance at SBL.
        >
        > --
        > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        > Chicago, Illinois
        > e-mail jgibson000@...

        > subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-
        > owners@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Peter Kirby
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hello XTalkers,

          You may have heard of "the Open Scrolls Project" before, and you would
          know, then, that it hasn't done much to get off the ground. I believe
          that this is because the model of volunteer contributions of translation
          time is not the most efficient, because it puts an extraordinary burden
          on a few individuals (those who are able to translate Aramaic, Greek,
          and Hebrew) without due compensation.

          I believe that a better model would be to establish a fund out of which
          the qualified translators can be paid for the service they render.
          Then, people would be able to contribute their money to this fund, with
          the expectation that even a little bit of money will result in some of
          the Dead Sea Scrolls being translated and transcribed--and available for
          free--that were not before.

          I would hope that individuals interested in the result would be
          contributors, but also corporations that sell Bible software packages
          that do not currently include the Dead Sea Scrolls, since they would be
          reaping the financial rewards of the result. I would definitely contact
          them for their sponsorship, in addition to the public.

          If you go to the website,

          http://www.openscrolls.org/

          You will see that I am currently looking for a few things to get off the
          ground:

          First, I need two other people to serve on the Board of Directors for
          Open Scrolls, Inc. I would prefer people who have academic credentials
          (to compensate for my lack of such), but also an enthusiasm for the
          project. The Board of Directors may or may not be paid for their time,
          but would at least be able to recoup any expenses incurred.

          Second, I need one to three people to serve as an editorial review for
          the work of translation. They would be responsible for quality
          control. They would be paid along with the translators. (Someone may
          serve on both the BoD and the editoral review, especially if they'd like
          to be paid. I myself won't be on the editorial review board.) The size
          of the editorial review board is a function of each person's available
          time; if we get one person with a lot of time, we may not need the other
          two.

          Third, I need contacts for people wanting to be paid for the work of
          transcription and translation working off the photocopies in the
          "Discoveries in the Judean Desert" series (DJD). I could potentially
          use up to a dozen such people, subdividing out the actual work of
          translation and transcription.

          Fourth, I could use the help of a web developer or web designer for the
          initial OpenScrolls.org website. This is not crucial; OpenScrolls.org
          will be a homebase for the distribution of the texts, but other channels
          will distribute the texts also. In a pinch I can do this work.

          Fifth, I need the comments of people like you on CrossTalk! What needs
          to be done so that this venture succeeds? You might know something I
          don't, so, enlighten me!

          In particular...

          What's the best license for the resulting transcription and
          translation? The main decision here is, should the result be fully
          public domain, or should the result by licensed under a "Creative
          Commons" or other open-type license? Please weigh in if you are
          familiar with the advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage (to
          me) of the latter, a license of some kind, is that you can control
          versioning (a modification has to be marked as a modification, etc.) and
          attribution (OpenScrolls.org and its translators must be credited).

          What's the best way to solicit contributions? Maybe you know something
          I don't about the world of getting funding for research or educational
          projects, such as this one basically is.

          thanks,
          Peter Kirby

          PS-- The Open Scrolls website is already ranking #14 or so for the term
          "Dead Sea Scrolls" in Google. I am certain that it will make it to the
          first page of the search results as soon as some serious content can be
          found there. It is, therefore, a very good spot to position the
          transcription and translation effort described above.
        • Lisbeth S. Fried
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hi Peter,

            Do I get paid for the work I already did????

            Who uses the site? There are plenty of translations of the DSS around.

            Liz Fried

            _____

            http://www.openscro <http://www.openscrolls.org/> lls.org/

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
              > Hi Peter,
              >
              > Do I get paid for the work I already did????

              I don't see why not, if you are willing to become one of the translators
              / transcribers when the Open Scrolls project officially launches. Just
              resubmit the translation work you had done at that time.
              > Who uses the site? There are plenty of translations of the DSS around.
              >
              > Liz Fried
              The Accordance software's translation, transcription, and index costs $120.

              The Logos software's transcription costs $80.

              The hardcopy books edited by Florentino García Martínez cost about $100
              and cannot be searched.

              There are other costs associated with getting Accordance or Logos up and
              running, usually some several hundred dollars. Many people do not have
              several hundred dollars to spend on getting the Dead Sea Scrolls
              searchable and available in the original language.

              The advantages of the Open Scrolls project are that the result would:

              * Be free.
              * Include a transcription (critical text).
              * Include a translation (not even this is on the Internet at present).
              * Searchable at OpenScrolls.org or at any other site choosing to host it.
              * Integrated with popular free and low-cost Bible software packages (the
              free "Sword" softwares, and the various ones you see on the shelf for
              $50 or less)

              I think that this more than justifies the project.

              regards,
              Peter Kirby