RE: [XTalk] Re: One in the eye for an unjust judge

  • Ernest Pennells
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
      [Tony Buglass]
      >In a different age and culture, he might have used Tom and Jerry
      cartoons...

      I like it, Tony

      [Tony Buglass]
      >Allegory is usually seen as secondary, isn't it?

      Then what have translators been feeding us all these years? I want my Tom
      and Jerry!

      Regards,

      Ernie Pennells,
      220-50 Songhees Road,
      Victoria BC,
      Canada V9A 7J4

      Tel: (1) 250 - 381 5676

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
        Hi Tony, Steve and Ernie,
        On Nov 6, 2006, at 4:40 AM, Tony Buglass wrote:

        > Steve Davies wrote:
        > It would seem to me that the
        > parable could not originally have had an unjust judge allegorical for
        > God. [snipped] I suspect that the
        > original parable (is this a parable, I can't tell anymore) did not
        > allegorize God/Judge at all. That makes no sense to me, nor does
        > Chosen-People/Woman.
        > But what do you suppose it might have been about, if the allegory in
        > the Word is secondary and not the intent of the original?
        >
        > Allegory is usually seen as secondary, isn't it? Which doesn't
        > mean that in some original version of the story the judge is not
        > used to refer to God in some other metaphorical device. (Bit
        > vague, I know, but it *is* Monday morning...)
        >
        > For my money, the application is 18:7, not 18:8; it's a "how much
        > more" type of story (cf Lk.11:13) - ie if such a dodgy character as
        > this judge will eventualy do as he is asked, how much more will
        > your loving heavenly Father answer your prayers. Whether the
        > original saying was part of the story as Luke shapes it, to deal
        > with his church's concerns over parousia-delay, is another
        > question. But the image of a feisty widow losing it with a bad
        > judge and smacking him in the eye - sounds like exactly the kind of
        > cartoon-image Jesus would have used to get the crowd going. In a
        > different age and culture, he might have used Tom and Jerry
        > cartoons...
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Rev Tony Buglass
        > Superintendent Minister
        > Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

        I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target. Road Runner
        and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
        ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
        (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
        etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
        stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
        writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
        it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
        widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
        oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
        concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
        brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
        God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
        distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
        NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and again!

        Gordon Raynal
        Inman, SC
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
          Gordon Raynal wrote:

          > I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target. Road Runner
          > and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
          > ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
          > (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
          > etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
          > stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
          > writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
          > it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
          > widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
          > oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
          > concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
          > brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
          > God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
          > distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
          > NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and again!

          FWIW, Wendy Cotter, the author of the article now under discussion, is a friend of
          mine (and who incidentally, also happens to live half a mile from me). I'll ask
          her if she wants to come on board and join this discussion.

          Jeffrey

          P.S. I'm still waiting for responses from XTalkers about attendance at SBL.

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7, 2006
            Hi Jeffrey,
            Will be interested in her comments.
            See you in a couple of weeks.
            Gordon Raynal
            Inman, SC
            On Nov 6, 2006, at 7:20 PM, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

            > Gordon Raynal wrote:
            >
            >> I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target.
            >> Road Runner
            >> and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
            >> ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
            >> (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
            >> etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
            >> stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
            >> writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
            >> it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
            >> widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
            >> oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
            >> concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
            >> brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
            >> God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
            >> distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
            >> NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and
            >> again!
            >
            > FWIW, Wendy Cotter, the author of the article now under discussion,
            > is a friend of
            > mine (and who incidentally, also happens to live half a mile from
            > me). I'll ask
            > her if she wants to come on board and join this discussion.
            >
            > Jeffrey
            >
            > P.S. I'm still waiting for responses from XTalkers about
            > attendance at SBL.
            >
            > --
            > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            > Chicago, Illinois
            > e-mail jgibson000@...

            > subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >
            > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-
            > owners@yahoogroups.com
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Peter Kirby
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
              Hello XTalkers,

              You may have heard of "the Open Scrolls Project" before, and you would
              know, then, that it hasn't done much to get off the ground. I believe
              that this is because the model of volunteer contributions of translation
              time is not the most efficient, because it puts an extraordinary burden
              on a few individuals (those who are able to translate Aramaic, Greek,
              and Hebrew) without due compensation.

              I believe that a better model would be to establish a fund out of which
              the qualified translators can be paid for the service they render.
              Then, people would be able to contribute their money to this fund, with
              the expectation that even a little bit of money will result in some of
              the Dead Sea Scrolls being translated and transcribed--and available for
              free--that were not before.

              I would hope that individuals interested in the result would be
              contributors, but also corporations that sell Bible software packages
              that do not currently include the Dead Sea Scrolls, since they would be
              reaping the financial rewards of the result. I would definitely contact
              them for their sponsorship, in addition to the public.

              If you go to the website,

              http://www.openscrolls.org/

              You will see that I am currently looking for a few things to get off the
              ground:

              First, I need two other people to serve on the Board of Directors for
              Open Scrolls, Inc. I would prefer people who have academic credentials
              (to compensate for my lack of such), but also an enthusiasm for the
              project. The Board of Directors may or may not be paid for their time,
              but would at least be able to recoup any expenses incurred.

              Second, I need one to three people to serve as an editorial review for
              the work of translation. They would be responsible for quality
              control. They would be paid along with the translators. (Someone may
              serve on both the BoD and the editoral review, especially if they'd like
              to be paid. I myself won't be on the editorial review board.) The size
              of the editorial review board is a function of each person's available
              time; if we get one person with a lot of time, we may not need the other
              two.

              Third, I need contacts for people wanting to be paid for the work of
              transcription and translation working off the photocopies in the
              "Discoveries in the Judean Desert" series (DJD). I could potentially
              use up to a dozen such people, subdividing out the actual work of
              translation and transcription.

              Fourth, I could use the help of a web developer or web designer for the
              initial OpenScrolls.org website. This is not crucial; OpenScrolls.org
              will be a homebase for the distribution of the texts, but other channels
              will distribute the texts also. In a pinch I can do this work.

              Fifth, I need the comments of people like you on CrossTalk! What needs
              to be done so that this venture succeeds? You might know something I
              don't, so, enlighten me!

              In particular...

              What's the best license for the resulting transcription and
              translation? The main decision here is, should the result be fully
              public domain, or should the result by licensed under a "Creative
              Commons" or other open-type license? Please weigh in if you are
              familiar with the advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage (to
              me) of the latter, a license of some kind, is that you can control
              versioning (a modification has to be marked as a modification, etc.) and
              attribution (OpenScrolls.org and its translators must be credited).

              What's the best way to solicit contributions? Maybe you know something
              I don't about the world of getting funding for research or educational
              projects, such as this one basically is.

              thanks,
              Peter Kirby

              PS-- The Open Scrolls website is already ranking #14 or so for the term
              "Dead Sea Scrolls" in Google. I am certain that it will make it to the
              first page of the search results as soon as some serious content can be
              found there. It is, therefore, a very good spot to position the
              transcription and translation effort described above.
            • Lisbeth S. Fried
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                Hi Peter,

                Do I get paid for the work I already did????

                Who uses the site? There are plenty of translations of the DSS around.

                Liz Fried

                _____

                http://www.openscro <http://www.openscrolls.org/> lls.org/

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                  Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
                  > Hi Peter,
                  >
                  > Do I get paid for the work I already did????

                  I don't see why not, if you are willing to become one of the translators
                  / transcribers when the Open Scrolls project officially launches. Just
                  resubmit the translation work you had done at that time.
                  > Who uses the site? There are plenty of translations of the DSS around.
                  >
                  > Liz Fried
                  The Accordance software's translation, transcription, and index costs $120.

                  The Logos software's transcription costs $80.

                  The hardcopy books edited by Florentino García Martínez cost about $100
                  and cannot be searched.

                  There are other costs associated with getting Accordance or Logos up and
                  running, usually some several hundred dollars. Many people do not have
                  several hundred dollars to spend on getting the Dead Sea Scrolls
                  searchable and available in the original language.

                  The advantages of the Open Scrolls project are that the result would:

                  * Be free.
                  * Include a transcription (critical text).
                  * Include a translation (not even this is on the Internet at present).
                  * Searchable at OpenScrolls.org or at any other site choosing to host it.
                  * Integrated with popular free and low-cost Bible software packages (the
                  free "Sword" softwares, and the various ones you see on the shelf for
                  $50 or less)

                  I think that this more than justifies the project.

                  regards,
                  Peter Kirby