Re: [XTalk] Bruce Metzger is selling his library

  • dagoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 26, 2006
      Could someone else please send me what jwest said? His posts are always just
      header when they get to me (I don't know why) and I have to wait for someone
      to comment before I know what he said. And most always has an interesting
      subject line that I want to read the text to. :0(

      Bill
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 27, 2006
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 30, 2006
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
            I have just encountered a good case for being a literalist.  Wendy Cotter “The Parable of the Feisty Widow and the Threatened Judge”,  NTS July 2005,  238ff argues that the judge gives in to the feisty widow because she might give him a black eye.

            Isn’t that fun?

            I would like to know how the linguists on XTalk view Cotter’s literal rendering of Lk. 18.5

            Regards,

            Ernie Pennells,
            220-50 Songhees Road,
            Victoria BC,
            Canada V9A 7J4

            Tel: (1) 250 - 381 5676

          • sdavies0
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
              Can you summarize the argument more fully?
              Steve Davies

              > I have just encountered a good case for being a literalist.  Wendy
              Cotter “The Parable of the Feisty Widow and the Threatened
              Judge”,  NTS July 2005,  238ff argues that the judge gives in to
              the feisty widow because she might give him a black eye.

              > Isn’t that fun?
              >
              > I would like to know how the linguists on XTalk view Cotter’s
              literal rendering of Lk. 18.5

              > Regards,
              >
              > Ernie Pennells,
              > 220-50 Songhees Road,
              > Victoria BC,
              > Canada V9A 7J4
              >
              > Tel: (1) 250 - 381 5676

            • Ernest Pennells
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                [Steve Davies]:
                >Can you summarize the argument more fully?

                I guess I was being rather cryptic, Steve.

                The key word in Lk. 18.5 is ‘UPWPIAZW (strike under the eye), which
                translators have rendered metaphorically as the unjust judge being pestered
                by the widow. Wendy Cotter takes this more literally as the judge feeling
                concerned that this determined and feisty woman might actually give him a
                black eye.

                Eugene Peterson in “The Message” comes close to Cotter’s theme with, “I’m
                going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.”

                Kenneth Bailey “Poets & Peasants” also comes close to Wendy Cotter’s theme.
                Based upon his knowledge peasant communities in the Middle East, he
                describes the potential for a bold woman to brave the male assembly before a
                judge, and win an effective hearing through disruptive behaviour.

                My enquiry is therefore whether the customary metaphorical treatments have a
                stronger claim than Cotter’s fisticuffs.

                Regards,

                Ernie Pennells,
                220-50 Songhees Road,
                Victoria BC,
                Canada V9A 7J4

                Tel: (1) 250 - 381 5676

              • sdavies0
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 5, 2006
                  --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Pennells" <pennells@...>
                  wrote:

                  > The key word in Lk. 18.5 is `UPWPIAZW (strike under the eye), which
                  > translators have rendered metaphorically as the unjust judge being
                  pestered > by the widow. Wendy Cotter takes this more literally as
                  the judge feeling > concerned that this determined and feisty woman
                  might actually give him a > black eye.

                  >> My enquiry is therefore whether the customary metaphorical
                  treatments have a > stronger claim than Cotter's fisticuffs.

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Ernie Pennells,

                  Well, I dunno. How's that for help? It would seem to me that the
                  parable could not originally have had an unjust judge allegorical for
                  God. That doesn't seem likely to me in terms of the religious context
                  of the times.

                  Furthermore, the purpose of a judge is to hear a case, not to give in
                  to pressure. This judge doesn't hear the case at all, but gives in.
                  That fits his unrigheous character well, but doesn't make it likely
                  that he is to be considered God. The woman is taking advantage of his
                  unrighteousness by her strategy.

                  For all we know the whining bitch doesn't have a case at all. I think
                  of a particular instance at my college where public screaming
                  (literally)and threatening-lawsuits repeatedly won the day for a
                  woman who had not the slightest scrap of right on her side.

                  As the judge is God, the woman, in turn, is said to be an allegory
                  for God's chosen ones. Now, if they are already the chosen ones, they
                  will already unjustly have God working for them against enemies who
                  have just and righteous claims against them, as the OT oft
                  reports to be the icase. I don't see any reason for anyone advancing
                  the argument that God's chosen will get their way, rightly or
                  wrongly, by physically threatening to assault God, although that is
                  the case if the Bible's allegory is to be followed and we assume that
                  strike under the eye is (more or less)literally meant.

                  We are to keep whining to God and eventually, whether we are in the
                  right or not, he'll give in just to get us to leave him alone....
                  that's the relationship of God to His Chosen? I suspect that the
                  original parable (is this a parable, I can't tell anymore) did not
                  allegorize God/Judge at all. That makes no sense to me, nor does
                  Chosen-People/Woman.

                  But what do you suppose it might have been about, if the allegory in
                  the Word is secondary and not the intent of the original?

                  I know, this letter doesn't help you with your question, but...
                  well... there we are.

                  Steve Davies
                • Tony Buglass
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                    Steve Davies wrote:
                    It would seem to me that the
                    parable could not originally have had an unjust judge allegorical for
                    God. [snipped] I suspect that the
                    original parable (is this a parable, I can't tell anymore) did not
                    allegorize God/Judge at all. That makes no sense to me, nor does
                    Chosen-People/Woman.
                    But what do you suppose it might have been about, if the allegory in
                    the Word is secondary and not the intent of the original?

                    Allegory is usually seen as secondary, isn't it? Which doesn't mean that in some original version of the story the judge is not used to refer to God in some other metaphorical device. (Bit vague, I know, but it *is* Monday morning...)

                    For my money, the application is 18:7, not 18:8; it's a "how much more" type of story (cf Lk.11:13) - ie if such a dodgy character as this judge will eventualy do as he is asked, how much more will your loving heavenly Father answer your prayers. Whether the original saying was part of the story as Luke shapes it, to deal with his church's concerns over parousia-delay, is another question. But the image of a feisty widow losing it with a bad judge and smacking him in the eye - sounds like exactly the kind of cartoon-image Jesus would have used to get the crowd going. In a different age and culture, he might have used Tom and Jerry cartoons...

                    Cheers,
                    Rev Tony Buglass
                    Superintendent Minister
                    Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

                  • Ernest Pennells
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                      [Tony Buglass]
                      >In a different age and culture, he might have used Tom and Jerry
                      cartoons...

                      I like it, Tony

                      [Tony Buglass]
                      >Allegory is usually seen as secondary, isn't it?

                      Then what have translators been feeding us all these years? I want my Tom
                      and Jerry!

                      Regards,

                      Ernie Pennells,
                      220-50 Songhees Road,
                      Victoria BC,
                      Canada V9A 7J4

                      Tel: (1) 250 - 381 5676

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                        Hi Tony, Steve and Ernie,
                        On Nov 6, 2006, at 4:40 AM, Tony Buglass wrote:

                        > Steve Davies wrote:
                        > It would seem to me that the
                        > parable could not originally have had an unjust judge allegorical for
                        > God. [snipped] I suspect that the
                        > original parable (is this a parable, I can't tell anymore) did not
                        > allegorize God/Judge at all. That makes no sense to me, nor does
                        > Chosen-People/Woman.
                        > But what do you suppose it might have been about, if the allegory in
                        > the Word is secondary and not the intent of the original?
                        >
                        > Allegory is usually seen as secondary, isn't it? Which doesn't
                        > mean that in some original version of the story the judge is not
                        > used to refer to God in some other metaphorical device. (Bit
                        > vague, I know, but it *is* Monday morning...)
                        >
                        > For my money, the application is 18:7, not 18:8; it's a "how much
                        > more" type of story (cf Lk.11:13) - ie if such a dodgy character as
                        > this judge will eventualy do as he is asked, how much more will
                        > your loving heavenly Father answer your prayers. Whether the
                        > original saying was part of the story as Luke shapes it, to deal
                        > with his church's concerns over parousia-delay, is another
                        > question. But the image of a feisty widow losing it with a bad
                        > judge and smacking him in the eye - sounds like exactly the kind of
                        > cartoon-image Jesus would have used to get the crowd going. In a
                        > different age and culture, he might have used Tom and Jerry
                        > cartoons...
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Rev Tony Buglass
                        > Superintendent Minister
                        > Upper Calder Methodist Circuit

                        I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target. Road Runner
                        and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
                        ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
                        (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
                        etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
                        stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
                        writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
                        it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
                        widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
                        oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
                        concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
                        brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
                        God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
                        distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
                        NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and again!

                        Gordon Raynal
                        Inman, SC
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 6, 2006
                          Gordon Raynal wrote:

                          > I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target. Road Runner
                          > and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
                          > ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
                          > (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
                          > etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
                          > stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
                          > writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
                          > it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
                          > widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
                          > oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
                          > concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
                          > brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
                          > God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
                          > distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
                          > NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and again!

                          FWIW, Wendy Cotter, the author of the article now under discussion, is a friend of
                          mine (and who incidentally, also happens to live half a mile from me). I'll ask
                          her if she wants to come on board and join this discussion.

                          Jeffrey

                          P.S. I'm still waiting for responses from XTalkers about attendance at SBL.

                          --
                          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 7, 2006
                            Hi Jeffrey,
                            Will be interested in her comments.
                            See you in a couple of weeks.
                            Gordon Raynal
                            Inman, SC
                            On Nov 6, 2006, at 7:20 PM, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

                            > Gordon Raynal wrote:
                            >
                            >> I love the Tom and Jerry connection! Right on target.
                            >> Road Runner
                            >> and Wylie Coyote work, too:)! Jesus compared the Kingdom to the
                            >> ravenous mustard weed that grows so huge that it invited birds
                            >> (crows?) to the cornfield... to an Assassin who needed his practice,
                            >> etc. All very Tom and Jerry-like/ Road Runner and Wylie Coyote-like
                            >> stories. In his fine little book, "The Essential Jesus" Crossan
                            >> writes (p 170) "Hear it instead (that is not in the way Luke frames
                            >> it) in its own literal situation where, in a world of male dominance,
                            >> widows (and orphans) are peculiarly susceptible to injustice and
                            >> oppression. Such a focus surely connects us to all the prophetic
                            >> concerns about the lowliest of the low and the weakest and forward to
                            >> brother James statement: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before
                            >> God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their
                            >> distress, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (Jas. 1:27
                            >> NRSV) Strategies for the latter might take a good smack now and
                            >> again!
                            >
                            > FWIW, Wendy Cotter, the author of the article now under discussion,
                            > is a friend of
                            > mine (and who incidentally, also happens to live half a mile from
                            > me). I'll ask
                            > her if she wants to come on board and join this discussion.
                            >
                            > Jeffrey
                            >
                            > P.S. I'm still waiting for responses from XTalkers about
                            > attendance at SBL.
                            >
                            > --
                            > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                            > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                            > Chicago, Illinois
                            > e-mail jgibson000@...

                            > subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                            >
                            > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-
                            > owners@yahoogroups.com
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Peter Kirby
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                              Hello XTalkers,

                              You may have heard of "the Open Scrolls Project" before, and you would
                              know, then, that it hasn't done much to get off the ground. I believe
                              that this is because the model of volunteer contributions of translation
                              time is not the most efficient, because it puts an extraordinary burden
                              on a few individuals (those who are able to translate Aramaic, Greek,
                              and Hebrew) without due compensation.

                              I believe that a better model would be to establish a fund out of which
                              the qualified translators can be paid for the service they render.
                              Then, people would be able to contribute their money to this fund, with
                              the expectation that even a little bit of money will result in some of
                              the Dead Sea Scrolls being translated and transcribed--and available for
                              free--that were not before.

                              I would hope that individuals interested in the result would be
                              contributors, but also corporations that sell Bible software packages
                              that do not currently include the Dead Sea Scrolls, since they would be
                              reaping the financial rewards of the result. I would definitely contact
                              them for their sponsorship, in addition to the public.

                              If you go to the website,

                              http://www.openscrolls.org/

                              You will see that I am currently looking for a few things to get off the
                              ground:

                              First, I need two other people to serve on the Board of Directors for
                              Open Scrolls, Inc. I would prefer people who have academic credentials
                              (to compensate for my lack of such), but also an enthusiasm for the
                              project. The Board of Directors may or may not be paid for their time,
                              but would at least be able to recoup any expenses incurred.

                              Second, I need one to three people to serve as an editorial review for
                              the work of translation. They would be responsible for quality
                              control. They would be paid along with the translators. (Someone may
                              serve on both the BoD and the editoral review, especially if they'd like
                              to be paid. I myself won't be on the editorial review board.) The size
                              of the editorial review board is a function of each person's available
                              time; if we get one person with a lot of time, we may not need the other
                              two.

                              Third, I need contacts for people wanting to be paid for the work of
                              transcription and translation working off the photocopies in the
                              "Discoveries in the Judean Desert" series (DJD). I could potentially
                              use up to a dozen such people, subdividing out the actual work of
                              translation and transcription.

                              Fourth, I could use the help of a web developer or web designer for the
                              initial OpenScrolls.org website. This is not crucial; OpenScrolls.org
                              will be a homebase for the distribution of the texts, but other channels
                              will distribute the texts also. In a pinch I can do this work.

                              Fifth, I need the comments of people like you on CrossTalk! What needs
                              to be done so that this venture succeeds? You might know something I
                              don't, so, enlighten me!

                              In particular...

                              What's the best license for the resulting transcription and
                              translation? The main decision here is, should the result be fully
                              public domain, or should the result by licensed under a "Creative
                              Commons" or other open-type license? Please weigh in if you are
                              familiar with the advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage (to
                              me) of the latter, a license of some kind, is that you can control
                              versioning (a modification has to be marked as a modification, etc.) and
                              attribution (OpenScrolls.org and its translators must be credited).

                              What's the best way to solicit contributions? Maybe you know something
                              I don't about the world of getting funding for research or educational
                              projects, such as this one basically is.

                              thanks,
                              Peter Kirby

                              PS-- The Open Scrolls website is already ranking #14 or so for the term
                              "Dead Sea Scrolls" in Google. I am certain that it will make it to the
                              first page of the search results as soon as some serious content can be
                              found there. It is, therefore, a very good spot to position the
                              transcription and translation effort described above.
                            • Lisbeth S. Fried
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                                Hi Peter,

                                Do I get paid for the work I already did????

                                Who uses the site? There are plenty of translations of the DSS around.

                                Liz Fried

                                _____

                                http://www.openscro <http://www.openscrolls.org/> lls.org/

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                                  Lisbeth S. Fried wrote:
                                  > Hi Peter,
                                  >
                                  > Do I get paid for the work I already did????

                                  I don't see why not, if you are willing to become one of the translators
                                  / transcribers when the Open Scrolls project officially launches. Just
                                  resubmit the translation work you had done at that time.
                                  > Who uses the site? There are plenty of translations of the DSS around.
                                  >
                                  > Liz Fried
                                  The Accordance software's translation, transcription, and index costs $120.

                                  The Logos software's transcription costs $80.

                                  The hardcopy books edited by Florentino García Martínez cost about $100
                                  and cannot be searched.

                                  There are other costs associated with getting Accordance or Logos up and
                                  running, usually some several hundred dollars. Many people do not have
                                  several hundred dollars to spend on getting the Dead Sea Scrolls
                                  searchable and available in the original language.

                                  The advantages of the Open Scrolls project are that the result would:

                                  * Be free.
                                  * Include a transcription (critical text).
                                  * Include a translation (not even this is on the Internet at present).
                                  * Searchable at OpenScrolls.org or at any other site choosing to host it.
                                  * Integrated with popular free and low-cost Bible software packages (the
                                  free "Sword" softwares, and the various ones you see on the shelf for
                                  $50 or less)

                                  I think that this more than justifies the project.

                                  regards,
                                  Peter Kirby