Re: [XTalk] Chilton on Carlson & Secret Mark

  • Loren Rosson
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
      > Thanks for Loren's hyperlink to the AM interview,
      > but the URL given does
      > not work, at least no for me ...

      My apologies. I managed to attach a comma to the URL.
      Drop the comma and it should work (and again, scroll
      down to Nov 27 2005 to get Carlson's radio interview)

      http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/ktf/default.htm

      Loren Rosson III
      Nashua NH
      http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Frank Jacks
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
        Frank Jacks wrote:
        > Thanks for Loren's hyperlink to the AM interview, but the URL given does
        > not work, at least no for me ... but after a little fooling around, I
        > found that dropping the last part gave me access to the right location.
        > Whether or not this is useful to others, I have no idea but "just in
        > case" it is, well try instead just http://www.wil.uiuc.edu/AM/ktf.
        >
        > Frank
        >
        > Clive F. Jacks, Th.D.
        > Professor of Religion, Emeritus
        > Pikeville Collge,
        > Pikeville, KY
        >
        > (but now happily retired back home in the metro Atlanta area!)

        Whoops - apologies all around for my URL did not work either, as I left
        out a letter (heavy sigh!) - it should have been:

        http://www.will.uiuc.edu/AM/ktf

        Sorry about that! Hopefully, I got it right this time ... I hope.

        Frank
      • Stephen C. Carlson
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
          At 09:27 PM 10/25/2006 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
          >My examination of the fly leaves show a very rapidly...almost
          >urgent...copying of an exemplar manuscript (probably in an uncial Greek)
          >into a Phanariot Greek minuscule with all of the flourishes and ligatures
          >peculiar to the 18th century.

          Thanks for your comments, Jack. For those on-list who may not
          be aware of it, Jack's web page about his uncial exemplar
          hypothesis is found here: http://www.historian.net/smunc.htm

          A major difficulty I'm having with your idea about an uncial
          exemplar, Jack, is how could a early modern monastic scribe
          copy a scriptio continua (no spaces between words) uncial
          exemplar into a fully accented and word divided minuscule
          script "very rapidly" without any word division errors or
          typical confusions of uncial letters (e.g. between E O S).
          A further difficulty with the idea of a hasty scribe is
          that the scribe must have expanded common uncial nomina
          sacra (e.g. IC for name "Jesus") into its full spelling.
          The amount of editorial interventions to produce the text
          we see in the photographs is irreconcilable with the idea
          that the scribe was pressed for time.

          Also, Smith had a lot of prior experience with 18th century
          hands, as I documented in my book, so your observation about
          the peculiarity of the hand would tend to exclude a great
          number of people as a candidate for the scribe, but not Smith
          himself.

          Stephen Carlson
          --
          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 27, 2006
                > At 09:27 PM 10/25/2006 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
                >>My examination of the fly leaves show a very rapidly...almost
                >>urgent...copying of an exemplar manuscript (probably in an uncial Greek)
                >>into a Phanariot Greek minuscule with all of the flourishes and ligatures
                >>peculiar to the 18th century.
                >
                > Thanks for your comments, Jack. For those on-list who may not
                > be aware of it, Jack's web page about his uncial exemplar
                > hypothesis is found here: http://www.historian.net/smunc.htm
                >
                > A major difficulty I'm having with your idea about an uncial
                > exemplar, Jack, is how could a early modern monastic scribe
                > copy a scriptio continua (no spaces between words) uncial
                > exemplar into a fully accented and word divided minuscule
                > script "very rapidly" without any word division errors or
                > typical confusions of uncial letters (e.g. between E O S).

                That's a valid point, Stephen. I would expect, however, that an 18th
                century Greek scribe whose natural hand was the "flourishy" Phanariot of SM
                could read an uncial mss and just copy away in his minuscule hand.

                > A further difficulty with the idea of a hasty scribe is
                > that the scribe must have expanded common uncial nomina
                > sacra (e.g. IC for name "Jesus") into its full spelling.

                If my natural hand is a minuscule without nomina sacra, as was the
                convention at that time, and I knew what the NS were, I see no problem with
                this.

                > The amount of editorial interventions to produce the text
                > we see in the photographs is irreconcilable with the idea
                > that the scribe was pressed for time.

                Even if his eyes were shifting back and forth from his copy to the original?

                > Also, Smith had a lot of prior experience with 18th century
                > hands, as I documented in my book, so your observation about
                > the peculiarity of the hand would tend to exclude a great
                > number of people as a candidate for the scribe, but not Smith
                > himself.

                As I told Ken and Stephen , you may well be right...and I hope you are not
                offended by my skepticism...maybe I am just stubborn but my paleographer's
                eye is just not yet convinced. Does a 42 year old Smith have these
                abilities? I see a hand that must have taken years to develop. Why would a
                man in the peak of his career jeapardize it? I would like to further explore
                my opinion that the hand is a hurried one. This is an important issue and
                can be the deciding factor for me. The line quality of a hurried hand is
                good. Quality diminishes the slower the hand. There are normally 3 writing
                speeds for the average person using this type of script, which includes
                English). There is a set speed, a facile speed and a rapid speed.. SM
                appears to me, from the photographs, to be between a facile and rapid hand
                because of the line quality, use of accents, apparent quill pressure and the
                Phanariot flourishes. Because SM is a copy requiring the copyist to
                write...stop...look to the exemplar...write again, etc, I would expect quill
                lifts and rests. The person who wrote/copied SM was right handed...what was
                Smith?

                Where is the Voss book now? was there bleed through or offset transfer to
                the boardpaper? It seems to me that a forensic examination of the book
                itself, which I assume is in Jerusalem and was not "lost," could yield some
                information.

                I will say that your research and examination of the photographs is so well
                done and without bias that I am leaning in your direction...I just need more
                for the reasons I have outlined in these communications before concluding
                that Morton Smith was an extremely talented nut and a fraud.

                Best Regards,

                Jack

                Jack Kilmon
                San Antonio

                > Stephen Carlson
                > --
                > Stephen C. Carlson
                > mailto:scarlson@...
                > Weblog:
                > http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/
                > Author of: The Gospel Hoax,
                > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932792481

                > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                > List managers may be contacted directly at:
                > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Mike Grondin
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2006
                  --- Jack Kilmon wrote:
                  > The line quality of a hurried hand is good.
                  > Quality diminishes the slower the hand.

                  STM this is only the case if there is a natural hand
                  tremor due to age or infirmity. Such a tremor would
                  probably result in small jags if writing too slowly.
                  Not having that problem, however, I find the opposite
                  to be true, viz. that the more quickly I write, the
                  lower the quality.

                  Mike Grondin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 1, 2006
                    At 09:21 AM 11/1/2006, Mike Grondin wrote:

                    >--- Jack Kilmon wrote:
                    > > The line quality of a hurried hand is good.
                    > > Quality diminishes the slower the hand.

                    Jack,
                    Do you have evidence for this, or is it just your experienced opinion?
                    It seems like an unlikely over-generalization to me. When writing fast,
                    isn't there a tendency to do fine on the straightaways, but then tend to
                    overshoot the hard turns? Or by "line quality" are you only talking about
                    the "straightaways"?

                    >STM this is only the case if there is a natural hand
                    >tremor due to age or infirmity. Such a tremor would
                    >probably result in small jags if writing too slowly.

                    True, the straightaways will get more ragged if drawn too slowly.
                    Seems to me *confidence* would be a bigger factor.
                    Bob

                    >Not having that problem, however, I find the opposite
                    >to be true, viz. that the more quickly I write, the
                    >lower the quality.
                    >
                    >Mike Grondin

                  • David Hindley
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                        Quoting David Hindley <dhindley@...>:

> [...]

                        Dave,
                        I suggest that your message takes as too small the difference between whether
                        the MS is a copy of a second century text or is a twentieth-century
                        misdirected
                        composition. If historians do not address that difference, whether for fear of
                        being charged with "getting ugly" or "kill[ing]" or for some other reason,
                        would that seem good to you? Or perhaps I misunderstand your
                        recommendation. If
                        it is (to skip the fake/forgery/hoax/fraud choice) bogus, shouldn't that be
                        shown and known?
                        Stephen Goranson
                        http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
                      • Stephen C. Carlson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                          At 09:36 AM 11/3/2006 -0500, David Hindley wrote:
                          >I am not directing this response to you in particular Ken, but if one is
                          >making the claim that evidence for tremors almost certainly means forgery
                          >(or whatever semantic term we wish to employ for rhetorical effect), and I
                          >think Stephen has essentially done so in his book, he *should* include an
                          >examination of similar documents for indications of, or lack of, similar
                          >tremors. In other words, there has been no control study to compare the
                          >manuscript photos against. The fact that a tremor can be an indication of
                          >forgery, when other evidence rules out a contrary explanation, does not mean
                          >that these tremors prove forgery. This is basic scholarly method, as without
                          >controls we are only making allegations.

                          Actually, in my book, I specifically compared the photos of Smith's MS
                          against three manuscripts from Mar Saba: Sabas 452, 518, and 523 (See
                          FIGS. 2A, 2B, and 2C, respectively).

                          Stephen Carlson
                          --
                          Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...