Chilton on Carlson & Secret Mark

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 25, 2006
      List members may be interested in seeing the review of Stephen Carlson's
      book on Smith and Secret Mark that Bruce Chilton has just published.

      It is available here:

      http://www.nysun.com/article/42197

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...
    • Loren Rosson
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 25, 2006
        Jeffrey wrote:

        > List members may be interested in seeing the review
        > of Stephen Carlson's
        > book on Smith and Secret Mark that Bruce Chilton has
        > just published.
        >
        > It is available here:
        >
        > http://www.nysun.com/article/42197

        Chilton writes:

        “Mr. Carlson persistently calls the document a ‘hoax’
        rather than a fraud or a forgery, on the grounds that
        a hoaxer does not directly profit from his deception.
        That defense is only partially convincing... Smith did
        not reveal his trick (if it truly was his) during his
        lifetime, nor did he arrange for any disclosure after
        his death.”

        That was a question I had when I finished reading
        Gospel Hoax, and a question posed to Stephen in an
        online interview (see
        http://www.will.uiuc.edu/AM/ktf/default.htm, and
        scroll down to Nov 27, 2005). Stephen’s answer is that
        Smith probably never came clean, as most hoaxers
        eventually do, because his allies were taken in by
        Secret Mark more than his enemies.

        “And he profited from publication and publicity;
        ‘Secret Mark’ set the stage for the reception of
        Smith's own idiosyncratic ideas about Jesus.”

        But it’s doubtful that Smith intended to benefit from
        Secret Mark, and (as Stephen notes in his book), he
        barely mentioned the document at all in Jesus the
        Magician. In other words, he was clever enough not to
        behave as a forger (rather than hoaxer) would behave
        with his own fake.

        Needless to say, I think Stephen's case is more
        conclusive than Chilton allows (or seems to want to
        allow), but it's a decent review for the most part. I
        like Chilton's sidebar on the modern love affair with neo-gnosticism.

        Loren Rosson III
        Nashua NH
        http://lorenrosson.blogspot.com/

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 25, 2006
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
            On October 25, 2006, Jack Kimon wrote:

            >>Interesting but Chilton's review is somewhat hollow. Stephen's book is
            extremely well done but still unconvincing.<<

            It has proved convincing to several competent scholars.

            >> My first objection is the
            "homoerotic" thing...to whom? Sexually insecure and adolescent
            modernWestern males?<<

            I do not believe that Carlson is saying that you or I or any particular
            reader would find the text sexually stimulating, but rather that the
            narrative contains a suggestion of homosexual activity (see chapter five of
            his book). As he is by no means the first person to find a suggestion of
            homosexual activity in it, I think it is reasonable to see that suggestion
            it in the text.

            >> The foundation of the claim that Clement's letter to
            Theodore is a fake lies in Morton Smith being a con man.<<

            First, the term "con man" is a more extreme term than Carlson uses or argues
            for. Stephen calls Secret Mark a "hoax."

            Second, this is Carlson's conclusion based on the evidence he produces, not
            an unexamined premise. Carlson may be wrong in his conclusions, but it is
            imaginable that Smith did compose the letter to Theodore himself and the
            possibility can be investigated, which is what Carlson did.

            >> I don't believe it
            and it gains purchase because Smith is dead making him a tad unresponsive to
            the charge.<<

            We make claims about dead people all the time. Such is not off limits in
            this field and you produce no evidence that Carlson is incorrect unless you
            wish us to accept your personal incredulity as having probative value.

            >>My examination of the fly leaves show a very rapidly...almost
            urgent...copying of an exemplar manuscript (probably in an uncial Greek)
            into a Phanariot Greek minuscule with all of the flourishes and ligatures
            peculiar to the 18th century. Unless it can be demonstated to me that a few
            flow tremors do not appear in genuine 18th century minuscule manuscripts
            written similarly hurried AND if it can be demonstrated to me that there are
            non primarily Greek speaking scholars who can write 18th century Phanariot
            minuscule very hurriedly, Secret Mark can still be genuine.<<

            It seems that you wish to place the burden of proof on Carlson to prove the
            non-existence of flow tremors in hurriedly-written 18th century manuscripts.
            If you wish to falsify Carlson's claims about the tremors, all you have to
            do is produce counterexamples.

            It also seems that you are insisting that in order for Carlson's theory to
            be plausible, he must show that someone besides Smith who is a non primarily
            Greek speaking scholar is expert enough to have written the Greek hand. But
            Carlson is suggesting that Smith practiced in order to be able to draft the
            letter to Theodore and it is very understandable that other people who lack
            Smith's motive and did not want to produce a manuscript in such a hand would
            not invest the time and effort to acquire the ability. I find it
            fascinating that you have to qualify your requirement with "non primarily
            Greek speaking." You seem to be admitting that there might indeed be human
            beings who have acquired this ability, but Smith could not have been one of
            them by virtue of having English as a first language. (It would, of course,
            also be possible to entertain the theory that Smith used an accomplice who
            was Greek scribe).

            One of the characteristics that many of Carlson's critics (Scott Brown being
            something of an exception) seem to share is the desire to dismiss the
            possibility that Smith could have composed the letter to Theodore himself
            without ever seriously investigating that possibility or engaging Carlson at
            the level of detailed argument with which he investigates that possibility.

            Best Wishes,

            Ken

            Kenneth A. Olson
            MA, History, University of Maryland
            PhD Student, Religion, Duke University
          • goranson@duke.edu
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
              Jack, you described the manuscript writing using these words: very rapidly,
              almost urgent, hurried, hurriedly. I'm no expert on this, but I am not aware
              that it has been demonstrated that the manuscript was written quickly. I find
              it more probable that Smith took his time, and practiced, including on the
              front end papers. And then brought the book with him to Mar Saba.

              Even though Smith wrote, more than once, that marginal annotations in old book
              were an important source of information, he gave no information about any
              marginal notes that the Voss book may have had. Nor, evidently, though he was
              subsequently in Jerusalem, did he make efforts to reexamine the book, or have
              someone else to do so. Also, he did not mention in his Mar Saba catalog that
              the manuscript had Secret Gospel quotations. And only after the 1960 catalog
              (and his seldom-seen 1958 publication) were in print did he announce his find
              at the December 1960 SBL meeting.

              I'm all for discoveries of ancient documents. But I think Secret Mark is not
              ancient, but modern.

              Smith directed few doctoral dissertations. I am not aware of any on that short
              elite list who has declared Secret Mark non-genuine other than Neusner. But I
              can say that at least two of the others--even if they are not persuaded that
              motive has been shown--do allow that Morton Smith was capable, in terms of
              knowledge and skill, of creating the manuscript.

              best,
              Stephen Goranson
              http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
            • Frank Jacks
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
                Thanks for Loren's hyperlink to the AM interview, but the URL given does
                not work, at least no for me ... but after a little fooling around, I
                found that dropping the last part gave me access to the right location.
                Whether or not this is useful to others, I have no idea but "just in
                case" it is, well try instead just http://www.wil.uiuc.edu/AM/ktf.

                Frank

                Clive F. Jacks, Th.D.
                Professor of Religion, Emeritus
                Pikeville Collge,
                Pikeville, KY

                (but now happily retired back home in the metro Atlanta area!)

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
                  > Thanks for Loren's hyperlink to the AM interview,
                  > but the URL given does
                  > not work, at least no for me ...

                  My apologies. I managed to attach a comma to the URL.
                  Drop the comma and it should work (and again, scroll
                  down to Nov 27 2005 to get Carlson's radio interview)

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
                    Frank Jacks wrote:
                    > Thanks for Loren's hyperlink to the AM interview, but the URL given does
                    > not work, at least no for me ... but after a little fooling around, I
                    > found that dropping the last part gave me access to the right location.
                    > Whether or not this is useful to others, I have no idea but "just in
                    > case" it is, well try instead just http://www.wil.uiuc.edu/AM/ktf.
                    >
                    > Frank
                    >
                    > Clive F. Jacks, Th.D.
                    > Professor of Religion, Emeritus
                    > Pikeville Collge,
                    > Pikeville, KY
                    >
                    > (but now happily retired back home in the metro Atlanta area!)

                    Whoops - apologies all around for my URL did not work either, as I left
                    out a letter (heavy sigh!) - it should have been:

                    http://www.will.uiuc.edu/AM/ktf

                    Sorry about that! Hopefully, I got it right this time ... I hope.

                    Frank
                  • Stephen C. Carlson
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
                      At 09:27 PM 10/25/2006 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
                      >My examination of the fly leaves show a very rapidly...almost
                      >urgent...copying of an exemplar manuscript (probably in an uncial Greek)
                      >into a Phanariot Greek minuscule with all of the flourishes and ligatures
                      >peculiar to the 18th century.

                      Thanks for your comments, Jack. For those on-list who may not
                      be aware of it, Jack's web page about his uncial exemplar
                      hypothesis is found here: http://www.historian.net/smunc.htm

                      A major difficulty I'm having with your idea about an uncial
                      exemplar, Jack, is how could a early modern monastic scribe
                      copy a scriptio continua (no spaces between words) uncial
                      exemplar into a fully accented and word divided minuscule
                      script "very rapidly" without any word division errors or
                      typical confusions of uncial letters (e.g. between E O S).
                      A further difficulty with the idea of a hasty scribe is
                      that the scribe must have expanded common uncial nomina
                      sacra (e.g. IC for name "Jesus") into its full spelling.
                      The amount of editorial interventions to produce the text
                      we see in the photographs is irreconcilable with the idea
                      that the scribe was pressed for time.

                      Also, Smith had a lot of prior experience with 18th century
                      hands, as I documented in my book, so your observation about
                      the peculiarity of the hand would tend to exclude a great
                      number of people as a candidate for the scribe, but not Smith
                      himself.

                      Stephen Carlson
                      --
                      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
                    • Jack Kilmon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
                        >>>Interesting but Chilton's review is somewhat hollow. Stephen's book is
                        > extremely well done but still unconvincing.<<
                        >
                        > It has proved convincing to several competent scholars.

                        Of course, Ken. Stephen's book is very well done. There are going to be
                        competent scholars who accept Stephen's well presented position as well as
                        competent scholars who do NOT. That is the way scholarship works and
                        Stephen is an excellent scholar.

                        >>> My first objection is the
                        > "homoerotic" thing...to whom? Sexually insecure and adolescent
                        > modernWestern males?<<
                        >
                        > I do not believe that Carlson is saying that you or I or any particular
                        > reader would find the text sexually stimulating, but rather that the
                        > narrative contains a suggestion of homosexual activity (see chapter five
                        > of
                        > his book). As he is by no means the first person to find a suggestion of
                        > homosexual activity in it, I think it is reasonable to see that suggestion
                        > it in the text.

                        And I do not think so in the context of the ancient Middle East. When I put
                        both the canonical version in Mark and the Secret Mark version together of a
                        naked young man with a linen wrap I get a baptism in "living water"
                        scenario. Some clues suggest that the Gethsemane olive orchard may have
                        belonged to Mark's parents in the upper city. There was the Kidron water
                        flow that supplied water to the olive orchard as well as the Gihon Spring
                        and may have been used for baptism in this "favorite place" of Jesus. The
                        conflation of the Lazarus story and the Gethsemane story is no different
                        than other narratives in the Gospels but my point is that there is much in
                        the ANE and in other cultures around the world in modern times that are NOT
                        "homoerotic" or suggestive of homosexuality but will be perceived as such in
                        the sexually juvenile Western World. I cannot count the number of times
                        that male friends in Israel, Egypt or even Indonesis, Thailand and Malaysia
                        have taken my hand when walking down the street. It is, in their culture, a
                        gesture of protection as well as signalling locals that "this person is with
                        me." Don't try that in downtown Memphis.

                        >>> The foundation of the claim that Clement's letter to
                        > Theodore is a fake lies in Morton Smith being a con man.<<
                        >
                        > First, the term "con man" is a more extreme term than Carlson uses or
                        > argues
                        > for. Stephen calls Secret Mark a "hoax."

                        But a "hoax" is a con job.

                        > Second, this is Carlson's conclusion based on the evidence he produces,
                        > not
                        > an unexamined premise. Carlson may be wrong in his conclusions, but it is
                        > imaginable that Smith did compose the letter to Theodore himself and the
                        > possibility can be investigated, which is what Carlson did.

                        Yes, of course. Stephen was very thorough and it is certainly not an
                        unexamined premise any more than my own. I am not claiming Stephen is
                        wrong, I am saying I am not yet convinced which is also not an unexamined
                        premise. First, I need to be convinced that one of the "forgeries within a
                        forgery within a forgery," namely the forgery of Clement is indeed one of
                        the forgeries and that Morton Smith was a good enough Clementine scholar to
                        pull that off.

                        >>> I don't believe it
                        > and it gains purchase because Smith is dead making him a tad unresponsive
                        > the charge.<<
                        >
                        > We make claims about dead people all the time. Such is not off limits in
                        > this field and you produce no evidence that Carlson is incorrect unless
                        > you
                        > wish us to accept your personal incredulity as having probative value.
                        >
                        > >>My examination of the fly leaves show a very rapidly...almost
                        > urgent...copying of an exemplar manuscript (probably in an uncial Greek)
                        > into a Phanariot Greek minuscule with all of the flourishes and ligatures
                        > peculiar to the 18th century. Unless it can be demonstated to me that a
                        > few
                        > flow tremors do not appear in genuine 18th century minuscule manuscripts
                        > written similarly hurried AND if it can be demonstrated to me that there
                        > are
                        > non primarily Greek speaking scholars who can write 18th century Phanariot
                        > minuscule very hurriedly, Secret Mark can still be genuine.<<
                        >
                        > It seems that you wish to place the burden of proof on Carlson to prove
                        > the
                        > non-existence of flow tremors in hurriedly-written 18th century
                        > manuscripts.
                        > If you wish to falsify Carlson's claims about the tremors, all you have to
                        > do is produce counterexamples.

                        That is one of the problems for both Stephen and me...lack of the primary
                        resource...the actual manuscript. I have no reason to believe that Morton
                        Smith was accustomed to writing fluently, normally and rhthmically ( and
                        hurriedly) in a Phanariot Greek hand. This is a hurried hand which conforms
                        in my mind to a librarian attempting to preserve something he thought
                        important and was probably ordered to destroy, much like Kallistos was
                        ordered to do the same thing to the copy. And why would he tear out the
                        leaves and "lose" them..or destroy them when access to them would settle the
                        debatte? In a real sense, the letter is not a "forgery" but a copy. In a
                        legitimate copy of the original, a "tremor" can form where the copyist
                        pauses to check back to the exemplar and there may be an occasional pen
                        rest. I also see foxing that occurred between 1642 and the time of the
                        writing and also foxing that occurred afterward that interferes with the
                        writing....at least so it appears from both the Smith and Hedrick photos.

                        In short, a COPY will demonstrate the same flow patterns as a forgery as the
                        18th century scribe's eyes went from the original Clementine letter to the
                        flyleaves and back again.

                        > It also seems that you are insisting that in order for Carlson's theory to
                        > be plausible, he must show that someone besides Smith who is a non
                        > primarily
                        > Greek speaking scholar is expert enough to have written the Greek hand.
                        > But
                        > Carlson is suggesting that Smith practiced in order to be able to draft
                        > the
                        > letter to Theodore and it is very understandable that other people who
                        > lack
                        > Smith's motive and did not want to produce a manuscript in such a hand
                        > would
                        > not invest the time and effort to acquire the ability. I find it
                        > fascinating that you have to qualify your requirement with "non primarily
                        > Greek speaking."

                        Why? I am seeing a document that was written, IMO, by someone who spoke and
                        wrote Greek in an 18th century Phanariot minuscule naturally. I think the
                        suggestion that Morton Smith practiced for..how long? months? Years> ..to
                        write this is far fetched.

                        > You seem to be admitting that there might indeed be human
                        > beings who have acquired this ability, but Smith could not have been one
                        > of
                        > them by virtue of having English as a first language.

                        That is what my paleographer's eye tells me.

                        > (It would, of course,
                        > also be possible to entertain the theory that Smith used an accomplice who
                        > was Greek scribe).

                        In a Phanariot minuscule hand with its "legalistic" shorthandedness,
                        ligatures and flourishes? That is still reaching too far and I think he
                        would have to had an accomplice for the Clementine style as well. That is
                        just too many hoaxers to remain a secret for so long.

                        > One of the characteristics that many of Carlson's critics (Scott Brown
                        > being
                        > something of an exception) seem to share is the desire to dismiss the
                        > possibility that Smith could have composed the letter to Theodore himself
                        > without ever seriously investigating that possibility or engaging Carlson
                        > at
                        > the level of detailed argument with which he investigates that
                        > possibility.

                        Other than the familiarity with Clement and his works common to any scholar
                        in Smith's position, I think it is legitimate to question whether Smith had
                        the degree of specialization combined with an equal degree of specialization
                        in a Greek minuscule hand that is unique. I am not sure that a similar cas
                        could not be made against a number of Biblical scholars with such an
                        intensive examination of their abilities, styles, prejudices, etc.

                        Stephen may well be right but I am not convinced and do not see his book as
                        the "final" deathblow to SM that is being promoted. We need the actual mss
                        and it looks like Kallistos has thought to himself that "so-and-so was
                        supposed to have destroyed this in 1750 and now I am going to get it done."

                        Regards

                        Jack Kilmon
                        San Antonio, Texas
                      • Jack Kilmon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 26, 2006
                          > Jack, you described the manuscript writing using these words: very
                          > rapidly,
                          > almost urgent, hurried, hurriedly. I'm no expert on this, but I am not
                          > aware
                          > that it has been demonstrated that the manuscript was written quickly. I
                          > find
                          > it more probable that Smith took his time, and practiced, including on the
                          > front end papers. And then brought the book with him to Mar Saba.

                          Actually, it is my observation of the hand that leads me to believe it was
                          written hurriedly. The flow tremors and pen rests could have resulted from
                          the scribe's eyes moving back and forth between the original and his copy on
                          the fly leaves. It would have been far easier to fake the letter in an
                          early uncial script than in the highly flourished Phanariot style, IMO.

                          > Even though Smith wrote, more than once, that marginal annotations in old
                          > book
                          > were an important source of information, he gave no information about any
                          > marginal notes that the Voss book may have had. Nor, evidently, though he
                          > was
                          > subsequently in Jerusalem, did he make efforts to reexamine the book, or
                          > have
                          > someone else to do so. Also, he did not mention in his Mar Saba catalog
                          > that
                          > the manuscript had Secret Gospel quotations. And only after the 1960
                          > catalog
                          > (and his seldom-seen 1958 publication) were in print did he announce his
                          > find
                          > at the December 1960 SBL meeting.
                          >
                          > I'm all for discoveries of ancient documents. But I think Secret Mark is
                          > not
                          > ancient, but modern.
                          >
                          > Smith directed few doctoral dissertations. I am not aware of any on that
                          > short
                          > elite list who has declared Secret Mark non-genuine other than Neusner.
                          > But I
                          > can say that at least two of the others--even if they are not persuaded
                          > that
                          > motive has been shown--do allow that Morton Smith was capable, in terms of
                          > knowledge and skill, of creating the manuscript.

                          I cannot think of what the motive could have been either, particularly since
                          Smith would have another 30 years to his career which would have been
                          destroyed. Much of the debate appears to settle around Smith's activities
                          and eccentricities as well as dislike for him. I have read some of his work
                          on political and social aspects of early sects but I don't think it has been
                          demonstrated sufficiently that his degrees of specialization in Clement,
                          Greek hands and Markan style (just one of these specialties is a career in
                          itself) was so acute. My position is that I am just not as convinced as
                          those who claim Stephen has dealt the definitive death blow.

                          Regards,

                          Jack

                          Jack Kilmon
                          San Antonio, Texas

                          > best,
                          > Stephen Goranson
                          > http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
                        • Jack Kilmon
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 27, 2006
                            > At 09:27 PM 10/25/2006 -0500, Jack Kilmon wrote:
                            >>My examination of the fly leaves show a very rapidly...almost
                            >>urgent...copying of an exemplar manuscript (probably in an uncial Greek)
                            >>into a Phanariot Greek minuscule with all of the flourishes and ligatures
                            >>peculiar to the 18th century.
                            >
                            > Thanks for your comments, Jack. For those on-list who may not
                            > be aware of it, Jack's web page about his uncial exemplar
                            > hypothesis is found here: http://www.historian.net/smunc.htm
                            >
                            > A major difficulty I'm having with your idea about an uncial
                            > exemplar, Jack, is how could a early modern monastic scribe
                            > copy a scriptio continua (no spaces between words) uncial
                            > exemplar into a fully accented and word divided minuscule
                            > script "very rapidly" without any word division errors or
                            > typical confusions of uncial letters (e.g. between E O S).

                            That's a valid point, Stephen. I would expect, however, that an 18th
                            century Greek scribe whose natural hand was the "flourishy" Phanariot of SM
                            could read an uncial mss and just copy away in his minuscule hand.

                            > A further difficulty with the idea of a hasty scribe is
                            > that the scribe must have expanded common uncial nomina
                            > sacra (e.g. IC for name "Jesus") into its full spelling.

                            If my natural hand is a minuscule without nomina sacra, as was the
                            convention at that time, and I knew what the NS were, I see no problem with
                            this.

                            > The amount of editorial interventions to produce the text
                            > we see in the photographs is irreconcilable with the idea
                            > that the scribe was pressed for time.

                            Even if his eyes were shifting back and forth from his copy to the original?

                            > Also, Smith had a lot of prior experience with 18th century
                            > hands, as I documented in my book, so your observation about
                            > the peculiarity of the hand would tend to exclude a great
                            > number of people as a candidate for the scribe, but not Smith
                            > himself.

                            As I told Ken and Stephen , you may well be right...and I hope you are not
                            offended by my skepticism...maybe I am just stubborn but my paleographer's
                            eye is just not yet convinced. Does a 42 year old Smith have these
                            abilities? I see a hand that must have taken years to develop. Why would a
                            man in the peak of his career jeapardize it? I would like to further explore
                            my opinion that the hand is a hurried one. This is an important issue and
                            can be the deciding factor for me. The line quality of a hurried hand is
                            good. Quality diminishes the slower the hand. There are normally 3 writing
                            speeds for the average person using this type of script, which includes
                            English). There is a set speed, a facile speed and a rapid speed.. SM
                            appears to me, from the photographs, to be between a facile and rapid hand
                            because of the line quality, use of accents, apparent quill pressure and the
                            Phanariot flourishes. Because SM is a copy requiring the copyist to
                            write...stop...look to the exemplar...write again, etc, I would expect quill
                            lifts and rests. The person who wrote/copied SM was right handed...what was
                            Smith?

                            Where is the Voss book now? was there bleed through or offset transfer to
                            the boardpaper? It seems to me that a forensic examination of the book
                            itself, which I assume is in Jerusalem and was not "lost," could yield some
                            information.

                            I will say that your research and examination of the photographs is so well
                            done and without bias that I am leaning in your direction...I just need more
                            for the reasons I have outlined in these communications before concluding
                            that Morton Smith was an extremely talented nut and a fraud.

                            Best Regards,

                            Jack

                            Jack Kilmon
                            San Antonio

                            > Stephen Carlson
                            > --
                            > Stephen C. Carlson
                            > mailto:scarlson@...
                            > Weblog:
                            > http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/
                            > Author of: The Gospel Hoax,
                            > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932792481

                            > crosstalk2-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            > List managers may be contacted directly at:
                            > crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Mike Grondin
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 1, 2006
                              --- Jack Kilmon wrote:
                              > The line quality of a hurried hand is good.
                              > Quality diminishes the slower the hand.

                              STM this is only the case if there is a natural hand
                              tremor due to age or infirmity. Such a tremor would
                              probably result in small jags if writing too slowly.
                              Not having that problem, however, I find the opposite
                              to be true, viz. that the more quickly I write, the
                              lower the quality.

                              Mike Grondin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 1, 2006
                                At 09:21 AM 11/1/2006, Mike Grondin wrote:

                                >--- Jack Kilmon wrote:
                                > > The line quality of a hurried hand is good.
                                > > Quality diminishes the slower the hand.

                                Jack,
                                Do you have evidence for this, or is it just your experienced opinion?
                                It seems like an unlikely over-generalization to me. When writing fast,
                                isn't there a tendency to do fine on the straightaways, but then tend to
                                overshoot the hard turns? Or by "line quality" are you only talking about
                                the "straightaways"?

                                >STM this is only the case if there is a natural hand
                                >tremor due to age or infirmity. Such a tremor would
                                >probably result in small jags if writing too slowly.

                                True, the straightaways will get more ragged if drawn too slowly.
                                Seems to me *confidence* would be a bigger factor.
                                Bob

                                >Not having that problem, however, I find the opposite
                                >to be true, viz. that the more quickly I write, the
                                >lower the quality.
                                >
                                >Mike Grondin

                              • David Hindley
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                                    Quoting David Hindley <dhindley@...>:

> [...]

                                    Dave,
                                    I suggest that your message takes as too small the difference between whether
                                    the MS is a copy of a second century text or is a twentieth-century
                                    misdirected
                                    composition. If historians do not address that difference, whether for fear of
                                    being charged with "getting ugly" or "kill[ing]" or for some other reason,
                                    would that seem good to you? Or perhaps I misunderstand your
                                    recommendation. If
                                    it is (to skip the fake/forgery/hoax/fraud choice) bogus, shouldn't that be
                                    shown and known?
                                    Stephen Goranson
                                    http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
                                  • Stephen C. Carlson
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 3, 2006
                                      At 09:36 AM 11/3/2006 -0500, David Hindley wrote:
                                      >I am not directing this response to you in particular Ken, but if one is
                                      >making the claim that evidence for tremors almost certainly means forgery
                                      >(or whatever semantic term we wish to employ for rhetorical effect), and I
                                      >think Stephen has essentially done so in his book, he *should* include an
                                      >examination of similar documents for indications of, or lack of, similar
                                      >tremors. In other words, there has been no control study to compare the
                                      >manuscript photos against. The fact that a tremor can be an indication of
                                      >forgery, when other evidence rules out a contrary explanation, does not mean
                                      >that these tremors prove forgery. This is basic scholarly method, as without
                                      >controls we are only making allegations.

                                      Actually, in my book, I specifically compared the photos of Smith's MS
                                      against three manuscripts from Mar Saba: Sabas 452, 518, and 523 (See
                                      FIGS. 2A, 2B, and 2C, respectively).

                                      Stephen Carlson
                                      --
                                      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...