An Annoyance (was: Tabor's Book- Reviewed)

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2006
      I would like to apologize for the misinformation in my last post. I should have double-checked Tabor's claim, given on p. 32 of his book, that "the dimensions of the missing tenth ossuary [from the Talpiot tomb] are precisely the same, to the centimeter, to those of the James Ossuary". This claim, it turns out, is wrong. *BAR* lists the dimensions of the James ossuary as 50.5 cm x 25 cm x 30.5 cm. The official report of the Talpiot tomb excavation, published in *Atiqot* 29 (1996) 15-22, lists the dimensions of the tenth ossuary as 60 cm x 26 cm x 30 cm. Clearly these could not be the same item. (Tabor doesn't list the dimensions of either ossuary.) So the bigger question, I suppose, is not "Why does Tabor ignore the official report's description of the ossuary as 'Plain'?", but rather "Why does Tabor say that the dimensions are 'precisely the same' when, in fact, they differ in all three dimensions, and in length by 9.5 cm?!

      This sort of misinformation is enough of an annoyance when it's found in a book aimed at scholars, but I find it doubly reprehensible when it appears in a book aimed at the public.

      I'm sorry if my earlier post led anyone on a wild goose chase. Now I know that I can stop my own wild goose chase.

      John C. Poirier
      Middletown, Ohio

    • Rick Hubbard
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2006
        John wrote:
        <snip>
        So the bigger
        |question, I suppose, is not "Why does Tabor ignore the
        |official report's description of the ossuary as 'Plain'?", but
        |rather "Why does Tabor say that the dimensions are 'precisely
        |the same' when, in fact, they differ in all three dimensions,
        |and in length by 9.5 cm?!

        Good question, John. Here is an idea: Why not pose it on the JesusDynasty
        discussion list?

        Tabor corresponds regularly on this list and I'm sure he could enlighten
        everyone about the discrepancy you have noted.

        Rick Hubbard