Re: [XTalk] Poor Widow again

  • sdavies0
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13, 2006
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schacht <r_schacht@...> wrote:

      > I propose that this situation is parallel to issues that pop up in
      the
      > philosophy of science with some regularity. The "sets of parallels
      and
      > patterns" are often based on different world views, so it seems
      like there
      > is no common ground from which both "sets" can be evaluated. This
      happens
      > in science, too. Thomas Kuhn called these "sets" paradigms.

      > The way one chooses can begin by examining the underlying
      principles and assumptions.

      > Bob Schacht

      Aloha Bob.

      I suppose we can also bring in the postmodernist view that authorial
      intentionality is either an illusion or an irrelevancy. So if Ted
      and I are both claiming that we discover what Mark intended to
      convey when writing the Gospel of Mark, we are both mistaken. (IMO,
      of course, he is mistaken and I'm not... but are we both,
      postmodernwise, mistaken because authorial intentionality is so not-
      twenty-first-century?).

      Steve Davies