How we study history

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2006
      If I may be permitted a slight digression, I am wondering if anyone has read
      Apologies to Thucydides: Understanding History as Culture and Vice Versa
      (Hardcover)
      by
      <http://www.amazon.com/s/104-7407597-9320700?ie=UTF8&index=books&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank&field-author-exact=Marshall%20Sahlins>Marshall
      Sahlins. University Of Chicago Press (December 1, 2004)

      Sahlins is an anthropologist, and it happens that he was on my dissertation
      committee. I took several courses from him while we were both at the
      University of Michigan. He is a deep thinker, but not an easy read.

      I have not yet read this book, but a number of Sahlins' books published
      since I left Michigan are shouldering their way onto my reading list.

      Bob
      Robert M. Schacht, Ph.D.
      University of Hawaii
      Honolulu, HI