Messiah in 1st Century

  • RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2006
      <<Thanks Mike for pointing me in a couple of directions. I am still not
      content with this. Does anyone know of any figure called "messiah"
      besides Jesus actually in the first century world?

      Any suggestions on where to turn to find out such answer?

      David Ritsema>>

      Josephus uses the term of Vespasian, but he's not exactly reliable as an
      indicator of Jewish belief in the matter! Most likely some of the rebel leaders
      he wrote claimed Messiahship, or had it claimed for them by others, but in
      their case he avoids using it, probably deliberately. Bar Cochba was, of
      course, declared to be the Messiah by Akiva, but that may be too late for your
      needs.

      Regards,

      Robert Brenchley

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2006
        At 12:59 PM 8/5/2006, RSBrenchley@... wrote:

        ><<Thanks Mike for pointing me in a couple of directions. I am still not
        >content with this. Does anyone know of any figure called "messiah"
        >besides Jesus actually in the first century world?
        >
        >Any suggestions on where to turn to find out such answer?
        >
        >David Ritsema>>

        If this discussion of "Messiah in 1st Century" sounds familiar and gives
        you that feeling of deja vu, it should. David Ritsema asked the same
        question on July 7, and got a number of responses over the next day. The
        thread is available in the archives, beginning at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/crosstalk2/message/21370

        Some questions do tend to come up over and over again. But it is
        disingenuous to pretend that your question is new. So if a thread ends
        leaving you unsatisfied, and you want to bring it up again, the appropriate
        thing to do, when raising the question again, is to recap the previous
        thread in such a way that carries the discussion forward, rather than
        recycling the same old same old.

        Posters who bring up the same question over and over again, as if for the
        first time, or repeating only the same arguments, without carrying the
        discussion forward into new territory, are likely to get labelled as
        "Johnny One-Notes" and to be put on moderated status so that we can block
        repetitious threads that go nowhere.

        Bob Schacht
        Assistant Moderator