Re: [XTalk] Knowledge of Hebrew Among Gentiles

  • John C. Poirier
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
      There is an obvious flaw in Meir Ilan's study: he doesn't factor in the fact that a certain percentage of the population would have been priestly, and would have had something of a duty to become literate to some degree. If a figure like 3% represents what "normally" would have developed according to the agricultural model, then I propose that we need to add a certain percentage to that (about 5%?) to account for priests, along with non-priestly sages and other scribes.

      John C. Poirier