Re: [XTalk] Knowledge of Hebrew Among Gentiles

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2006
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Ken Olson" <kenolson101@...>
      To: <crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 10:41 PM
      Subject: [XTalk] Knowledge of Hebrew Among Gentiles

      > Does anyone know, or know where the issue is discussed, how many people
      > who
      > did not come from a Jewish or Samaritan background knew Hebrew in the
      > centuries immediately before and after Jesus? Origen learned it. Was he
      > unique or highly unusual in that respect?
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Ken
      >
      > Kenneth A. Olson
      > MA, History, University of Maryland
      > PhD Student, Religion, Duke University

      The literacy rate in 1st century Palestine was about 3%. I am referring to
      those who could read and write Hebrew but spoke Aramaic, not necessarily
      trilingual with Greek also. Some of the Christian scholars like Jerome and
      Origen learned Hebrew and Aramaic but few people knew Hebrew in the late 2nd
      temple period except for the Rabbis.

      Jack Kilmon
      San Marcos, Texas
    • Rikk Watts
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
        HI Jack,

        Just out of interest, can you give me some idea of how that number was
        determined?

        Thanks
        Rikk

        On 4/8/06 10:46 PM, "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon@...> wrote:

> [...]
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
          Sure, Rick. Check out http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~barilm/illitera.html

          Jack

          > Just out of interest, can you give me some idea of how that number was
          > determined?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Rikk

        • John C. Poirier
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2006
            There is an obvious flaw in Meir Ilan's study: he doesn't factor in the fact that a certain percentage of the population would have been priestly, and would have had something of a duty to become literate to some degree. If a figure like 3% represents what "normally" would have developed according to the agricultural model, then I propose that we need to add a certain percentage to that (about 5%?) to account for priests, along with non-priestly sages and other scribes.

            John C. Poirier