Cedrenus and the Testimonium Flavianum.

  • Ben C. Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2006
      Hello. First post here, and it is a question.

      On page 15, note 65, of An Arabic Version of the Testimonium Flavianum and Its Implications Shlomo Pines notes that the version of the Testimonium given in Cedrenus (century XI) lacks the phrase: He was the Christ. I note that the English rendition that David Hindley offers (in his long list of passages reflecting the Testimonium) lacks that phrase, but does (twice) call Jesus the Christ within the pericope.

      The list may be found at http://www.christianorigins.com/citations.html.

      My question is whether anyone here has any insight into why Cedrenus in his Compendium of History would have omitted this phrase. Is it a fluke?

      Many thanks.

      Ben C. Smith.
      TextExcavation, http://www.textexcavation.com
      Kansas, USA.