Re: [XTalk] Funk in The Fourth R, January-February 1995, p.9

  • David B. Gowler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2006
      Jeffrey,

      How much do you need? It's in a review of Luedemann's The Resurrection of
      Jesus, and the quote certainly misses Funk's nuance.

      Funk asks why the book created such violent reactions in Germany (because
      scholars were "paving over" the "crisis" in present-day Christianity). The
      only remedy for Luedemann is to "face the issues squarely, honestly . . . ."

      "The crisis does not arise merely from the way in which the gospels and later
      interpreters have treated the resurrection. The crisis arises, in large part,
      from what we can know about Jesus himself. For example," [Then your quote
      starts]

      There also is a section missing between the "imaginations" and "In my view,"
      where Funk disagrees with Luedemann's "extra nos," the "something beyond us,
      something of which we can be absolutely certain." Funk writes: "While I share
      Luedemann's conclusion, I do not share his conviction."

      crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com on Monday, July 17, 2006 at 11:27 PM -0500 wrote:
      >Can anyone here supply with the context -- i.e., what Funk says both
      >before and after the following statement that appeared in The Fourth R,
      >January-February 1995, p.9?
      >
      >“As an historian, I do not know for certain that Jesus really existed,
      >that he is anything more than the figment of some overactive
      >imaginations.
      [section missing; see above]
      >In my view, there is nothing about Jesus of Nazareth that
      >we can know beyond any possible doubt....

      In the mortal life we have, there are only probabilities.

      >And the Jesus that scholars
      >have isolated in the ancient gospels, gospels that are bloated with the
      >will to believe, may turn out to be only another image that merely
      >reflects our deepest longings.”

      Funk goes on to say that we should not lay claim to transcendent certainties
      but "submit to all the conditions of finite existence. He does agree with
      Luedemann, however, that "Jesus is the ground of our faith as Christians." But
      Funk--like he says Jesus did--accepts his finitude.

      Hope that helps.

      Every good wish,
      David

      ******************************
      Dr. David B. Gowler
      Pierce Professor of Religion; Associate Professor
      Oxford College of Emory University
      http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~dgowler
      http://www.emory.edu/OXFORD/pierceprogram/Pierce.html
      ******************************
      Barack Obama, Nov 2, 2004: If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who
      can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior
      citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between
      medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my
      grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without
      benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's
      that fundamental belief--I am my brother's keeper, I am my sisters'
      keeper--that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our
      individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. "E
      pluribus unum." Out of many, one.