Re: [XTalk] LP book

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
      Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > Susan:
      > I agree that the Aramaic should be covered but Douglas-Klotz is not
      > credible.

      Would you care to state why?

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
          Jack Kilmon wrote:

          > Sure. Douglas-Klotz is a "new agey" author who uses Syriac...the late
          > Eastern Aramaic of the Peshitta text and not the Judean dialect spoken by
          > Jesus. Part of his new age paradigm is to take Syriac words from the
          > Peshitta LP and reshape the prayer based on "alternate" translations based
          > on the primitive roots and then imaginatively expanded to a "touchey-feely
          > paraphrase.
          > For example:
          >
          > Abba d'wushMAyA, YEETqadDESH shmak
          >
          > Abba n. Father
          >
          > d'wushMAya in heaven
          >
          > yeetQADesh imp. may holy (be)
          >
          > shmak name-your
          >
          > Klotz translates this as:
          >
          > O Birther! Father-Mother of the Cosmos, Focus your light within us-make it
          > useful.
          >
          > It just has no place in a scholarly treatment of the Aramaic of the LP.

          Nor does it have any point of contact, formally or materially or thematically,
          with Second Temple Jewish prayers.

          It would seem that those people who think this sort of nonsense is really what
          Jesus was praying for in the LP are working not from an historical investigation
          of the theology of 1st century Judaism, but from a theological apriori about who
          God is and what "religion" is all about.

          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
          Chicago, Illinois
          e-mail jgibson000@...
        • Tobias Hägerland
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
            --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
            <jgibson000@...> wrote:
            > But in the light of your mentioning him, let me ask list members
            for the names of
            > authors (other than the obvious ones like Lohmeyer and Jeremias)
            whose work on the
            > LP you think need to be discussed.

            I think the following book deserves to be discussed:

            M. Philonenko, Le Notre Père: De la prière de Jésus à la prière des
            disciples (Paris: Gallimard, 2001). Also available in German
            translation: Das Vaterunser: Vom Gebet Jesu zum Gebet der Jünger
            (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2002).

            Philonenko argues that the LP was originally two different prayers.

            /Tobias Hägerland
            Göteborg University, Sweden
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
              At 12:32 PM 5/31/2006, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
              >With apologies for cross posting.
              >
              >I am finally beginning work in earnest on my book on the Lord's Prayer
              >for Paulist Press' _What Are They Saying About_ Series.
              >
              >I have drawn up (and include below) a preliminary outline of the topics
              >that I think are at the center of current discussions of the LP and that
              >I will need to deal with.
              >
              >But I'd be grateful if List Members would let me know whether you think
              >there are **other** topics that I've overlooked and/or that I should
              >not neglect given the aim of the book .

              Isn't the LP in the Didache? IIRC, that might provide reason to discuss
              * What role it played in the community that used the Didache
              * Whether the Didache version is derivative (e.g., from Matthew) or not
              (e.g., Crossan considers it early)
              There have been a bunch of ~new books on the Didache in the past 10 years
              or so.

              Bob

              >Yours,
              >
              >Jeffrey
              >
              >******
              >Outline
              >
              >Versions of the Prayer (in Matthew, in Luke, in the Didache) and their
              >Relationship
              >
              >The Origin of the Prayer (from Jesus? From John the Baptist?)
              >
              >The Unity of the Prayer (the thesis of Goulder)
              >
              >How Original is the Prayer/ The Context of the Prayer (its formal and
              >thematic relationship to Second Temple Jewish Prayers)
              >
              >The Horizon of the Prayer (the question of the Lord's Prayer as an
              >Eschatological Prayer)
              >
              >The Meaning of the Petitions
              >
              >The Function of the Prayer in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke.
              >
              >******
              >--
              >Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
              >1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
              >Chicago, Illinois
              >e-mail jgibson000@...
              >

              >The XTalk Home Page is
              ><http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/>http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/

              >List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

              >jesus
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Beyond+belief&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=PRZaGy-53S81wUsfjCT2Zg>Beyond
              >belief
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christianity+today&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=gUB1PVMB5Ggzi6ybPV-6Mg>Christianity
              >today
              ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mere+christianity&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=ctyEs8znv201GmPOMWz16w>Mere
              >christianity

              > *

            • James Spinti
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                I didn't know that Crossan considered the LP in the Didache early, but Milavec argues that the whole Didache is early in his huge tome:

                "The Didache: Faith, Hope, and Life of the Earliest Christian Communities, 50-70 C.E."
                by Aaron Milavec
                Paulist Press, 2003
                1,000 pages, English, Cloth
                ISBN: 0809105373
                List Price: $64.95

                He deals specifically with the LP in pages 308-350.

                HTH,
                James
                ________________________________
                James Spinti
                Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
                jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                Fax: 574-269-6788

              • Bob Dietel
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                  James Spinti wrote:

                  >I didn't know that Crossan considered the LP in the Didache early, but Milavec argues that the whole Didache is early in his huge tome:
                  >
                  >"The Didache: Faith, Hope, and Life of the Earliest Christian Communities, 50-70 C.E."
                  >by Aaron Milavec
                  >Paulist Press, 2003
                  >1,000 pages, English, Cloth
                  >ISBN: 0809105373
                  >List Price: $64.95
                  >
                  >He deals specifically with the LP in pages 308-350.

                  Kurt Niederwimmer also argues that the Didache is early
                  second-century. [see Niederwimmer et al. 1998. /"The Didache:
                  Hermeneia/. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 43.] His discussion
                  of the LP is in pp 134-138.
                  --

                  --Bob Dietel, vicar
                  --North Cascades Episcopal Missions
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                    Bob Dietel wrote:

                    > Kurt Niederwimmer also argues that the Didache is early
                    > second-century. [see Niederwimmer et al. 1998. /"The Didache:
                    > Hermeneia/. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 43.] His discussion
                    > of the LP is in pp 134-138.

                    Flusser too discusses the LP in his book on the Didache--- on pages 293-296.

                    Jim

                    --
                    Jim West, ThD

                    http://petrosbaptistchurch.blogspot.com -- Weblog
                  • James Spinti
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                      By early, Milavec means first century, note the subtitle: 50-70 C.E.
                      That seems a bit unconventional. Most would date it early 2nd century or
                      later. What does Crossan mean by early?

                      James
                      ________________________________

                    • Jack Kilmon
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                        > At 12:32 PM 5/31/2006, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                        >>With apologies for cross posting.
                        >>
                        >>I am finally beginning work in earnest on my book on the Lord's Prayer
                        >>for Paulist Press' _What Are They Saying About_ Series.
                        >>
                        >>I have drawn up (and include below) a preliminary outline of the topics
                        >>that I think are at the center of current discussions of the LP and that
                        >>I will need to deal with.
                        >>
                        >>But I'd be grateful if List Members would let me know whether you think
                        >>there are **other** topics that I've overlooked and/or that I should
                        >>not neglect given the aim of the book .
                        >
                        > Isn't the LP in the Didache? IIRC, that might provide reason to discuss
                        > * What role it played in the community that used the Didache
                        > * Whether the Didache version is derivative (e.g., from Matthew) or not
                        > (e.g., Crossan considers it early)
                        > There have been a bunch of ~new books on the Didache in the past 10 years
                        > or so.
                        >
                        > Bob

                        WSas there not a publication by Oxford University Press about 10 years ago
                        of the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom which included a version of ther LP?

                        Jack

                        Jack Kilmon
                      • Tony Buglass
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                          James Spinti wrote:
                          By early, Milavec means first century, note the subtitle: 50-70 C.E.
                          That seems a bit unconventional. Most would date it early 2nd century or
                          later. What does Crossan mean by early?

                          Crossan discusses the Lord's Prayer in The Historical Jesus p.293, and
                          refers to the Didache's version. He thinks it is an "independent rendition"
                          of the version known to Matthew. He thinks Luke has used the version in Q,
                          and Matthew has replaced it with the version used in his own community. As
                          far as the Didache himself is concerned, he includes it in his
                          stratification of the Jesus Tradition (p.427f). He places the first part of
                          it in his 3rd stratum (80-120) - that is Did.1:1-3a, 2:2-16:2. He thinks
                          1:3b-2:1 is a later insertion, independent of the intracanonical gospels.
                          He suggests also that the apocalyptic source behind Did.16:3-5 "may have
                          been known by Mk.13 or more likely by Mt.24." He places Did.1:3b-2:1 in the
                          4th stratum (120-150).

                          Cheers,
                          Rev Tony Buglass
                          Superintendent Minister
                          Upper Calder Methodist Circuit
                        • johnestaton
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                            --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Dear Jeffrey,
                            >
                            > What is the relationship between the LP and the Kaddish? They sound very
                            > similar to me.
                            >
                            > What is the age of the kaddish?
                            >
                            > Liz Fried
                            >
                            > Ann Arbor

                            JES
                            Lisbeth,
                            Sorry I am not Jeffrey, but the link between the LP and the Kaddish is
                            widely acknowledged by scholars. I believe the majority think the
                            kaddish predates Jesus and that the LP is a variation on the Jewish
                            prayer. I would see this link as one of the most powerful arguments
                            for its early provenance.

                            Best Wishes

                            Penistone, Sheffield UK
                            www.christianreflection.org.uk
                          • Mark Preece
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 6, 2006
                              At 11:50 AM 6/1/2006, Jeff Peterson wrote:
                              >It may not be more than a footnote, but James Barr's JTS article
                              >"Abba Isn't Daddy" is important in assessing Jesus' attitude towards
                              >God, which Jeremias maintains the prayer expresses.

                              And if you touch on this, please remember to mention that part of the
                              problem with this whole discussion is that "daddy" means different things
                              to different people in English. I haven't read Barr's article, at least not
                              that I remember, but this point often gets lost in this discussion. There's
                              more to "daddy" as a form of address than how intimate it is.

                              I was raised in a culture where calling my father "daddy" was considered
                              not only intimate but infantile -- I'm sure I stopped well before I was 8.
                              I would be uncomfortable praying to God as "daddy" for the same reason I
                              would be uncomfortable putting the rest of the prayer into baby talk. (I
                              guess I could imagine calling God "dad".) On the other hand, I've known
                              people (especially from the south) who referred to their fathers as "daddy"
                              to the end of their lives.

                              Peace,

                              Mark.

                              The Rev. Mark Preece
                              Trinity Church, Gulph Mills
                              King of Prussia, PA
                            • Jack Kilmon
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 6, 2006
                                > At 11:50 AM 6/1/2006, Jeff Peterson wrote:
                                >>It may not be more than a footnote, but James Barr's JTS article
                                >>"Abba Isn't Daddy" is important in assessing Jesus' attitude towards
                                >>God, which Jeremias maintains the prayer expresses.
                                >
                                > And if you touch on this, please remember to mention that part of the
                                > problem with this whole discussion is that "daddy" means different things
                                > to different people in English. I haven't read Barr's article, at least
                                > not
                                > that I remember, but this point often gets lost in this discussion.
                                > There's
                                > more to "daddy" as a form of address than how intimate it is.
                                >
                                > I was raised in a culture where calling my father "daddy" was considered
                                > not only intimate but infantile -- I'm sure I stopped well before I was 8.
                                > I would be uncomfortable praying to God as "daddy" for the same reason I
                                > would be uncomfortable putting the rest of the prayer into baby talk. (I
                                > guess I could imagine calling God "dad".) On the other hand, I've known
                                > people (especially from the south) who referred to their fathers as
                                > "daddy"
                                > to the end of their lives.
                                >
                                > Peace,
                                >
                                > Mark.
                                >
                                > The Rev. Mark Preece
                                > Trinity Church, Gulph Mills
                                > King of Prussia, PA

                                I would like to see a precedent in 1st century Judean Aramaic that )b)
                                (abba) represents a lesser formality than "father" and not the 1st person
                                plural pronomial suffix -a added to ab rather than being the status
                                emphaticus which lost its significance by the 1st century (Jeremias, Theol.
                                Literaturzeitung 1949, 9, 530). This construction can also be seen in the
                                phrase marana tha "OUR master, come." Accordingly I would expect a personal
                                or more intimate use to be "aby" (MY father).

                                Is there an orthographic tree I am not seeing for the forest here?

                                Jack

                                Jack Kilmon
                                San Marcos, Texas