Re: [XTalk] LP book

  • Jeff Peterson
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
      On Jun 1, 2006, at 9:36 AM, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

      > But in the light of your mentioning him, let me ask list members
      > for the names of
      > authors (other than the obvious ones like Lohmeyer and Jeremias)
      > whose work on the
      > LP you think need to be discussed.

      It may not be more than a footnote, but James Barr's JTS article
      "Abba Isn't Daddy" is important in assessing Jesus' attitude towards
      God, which Jeremias maintains the prayer expresses. (I've been
      reading Barr recently and have the impression that his work has had
      less influence than its quality merits; I'd be interested to know
      whether others share this impression, and what the explanation might
      be; I have a hunch one factor is that so much of his work takes the
      form of critique of others' theses rather than putting forward his own.)

      Also, I find Gerhard Lohfink helpful on the prayer in JESUS AND
      COMMUNITY, especially on "hallowed by thy name" as reflecting
      Ezekiel's hope for the reunion of Israel; similarly John Meier in A
      MARGINAL JEW, vol. 2.

      Jeff Peterson
      Austin Graduate School of Theology
    • Ken Olson
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
        Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        <<But in the light of your mentioning him, let me ask list members for the
        names of
        authors (other than the obvious ones like Lohmeyer and Jeremias) whose work
        on the
        LP you think need to be discussed.<<

        I see you've got a whole section on origins emphasizing Goulder. There's a
        lot of work out there that resembles Goulder's thesis that one of the
        evangelists (or his "community") composed the Lord's prayer from individual
        traditions with redactional additions, but still allows room for
        form-critical transmission [S. Van Tilborg, NovT 14.2( 1972) 94-105] and/or
        Q [Hal Taussig/Jesus Seminar, Forum 49 (1998) 25-41] and accumulated textual
        additions [J. C. O'Neill, JSNT 51 (1993) 3-25].

        I would still vote for Goulder's thesis in the simple form. One of the
        major arguments against Goulder is Jeremias' assertion that liturgical texts
        always grow during transmission. Charlesworth and company show this is not
        true in regard to Josephus' use of prayers from Maccabees and
        Kings/Chronicles and Charlesworth even provides the Aramaic form of Psalm
        15.1-2 as an example of a later, shorter, form which is completely contained
        in a longer form of liturgical text [Charlesworth, James H., ed., The Lord's
        Prayer and Other Prayer Texts from the Greco-Roman Era (Valley Forge,
        Pennsylvania: TPI, 1994)].

        Hope this helps, but i imagine you've already looked at these.

        Best,

        Ken

        Kenneth A. Olson
        MA, History, University of Maryland
        PhD Student, Religion, Duke University
      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
          Susan:
          I agree that the Aramaic should be covered but Douglas-Klotz is not
          credible.

          Jack Kilmon

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
            Jack Kilmon wrote:

            > Susan:
            > I agree that the Aramaic should be covered but Douglas-Klotz is not
            > credible.

            Would you care to state why?

            Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
            1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
            Chicago, Illinois
            e-mail jgibson000@...
          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                Jack Kilmon wrote:

                > Sure. Douglas-Klotz is a "new agey" author who uses Syriac...the late
                > Eastern Aramaic of the Peshitta text and not the Judean dialect spoken by
                > Jesus. Part of his new age paradigm is to take Syriac words from the
                > Peshitta LP and reshape the prayer based on "alternate" translations based
                > on the primitive roots and then imaginatively expanded to a "touchey-feely
                > paraphrase.
                > For example:
                >
                > Abba d'wushMAyA, YEETqadDESH shmak
                >
                > Abba n. Father
                >
                > d'wushMAya in heaven
                >
                > yeetQADesh imp. may holy (be)
                >
                > shmak name-your
                >
                > Klotz translates this as:
                >
                > O Birther! Father-Mother of the Cosmos, Focus your light within us-make it
                > useful.
                >
                > It just has no place in a scholarly treatment of the Aramaic of the LP.

                Nor does it have any point of contact, formally or materially or thematically,
                with Second Temple Jewish prayers.

                It would seem that those people who think this sort of nonsense is really what
                Jesus was praying for in the LP are working not from an historical investigation
                of the theology of 1st century Judaism, but from a theological apriori about who
                God is and what "religion" is all about.

                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                Chicago, Illinois
                e-mail jgibson000@...
              • Tobias Hägerland
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 1, 2006
                  --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey B. Gibson"
                  <jgibson000@...> wrote:
                  > But in the light of your mentioning him, let me ask list members
                  for the names of
                  > authors (other than the obvious ones like Lohmeyer and Jeremias)
                  whose work on the
                  > LP you think need to be discussed.

                  I think the following book deserves to be discussed:

                  M. Philonenko, Le Notre Père: De la prière de Jésus à la prière des
                  disciples (Paris: Gallimard, 2001). Also available in German
                  translation: Das Vaterunser: Vom Gebet Jesu zum Gebet der Jünger
                  (Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2002).

                  Philonenko argues that the LP was originally two different prayers.

                  /Tobias Hägerland
                  Göteborg University, Sweden
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                    At 12:32 PM 5/31/2006, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                    >With apologies for cross posting.
                    >
                    >I am finally beginning work in earnest on my book on the Lord's Prayer
                    >for Paulist Press' _What Are They Saying About_ Series.
                    >
                    >I have drawn up (and include below) a preliminary outline of the topics
                    >that I think are at the center of current discussions of the LP and that
                    >I will need to deal with.
                    >
                    >But I'd be grateful if List Members would let me know whether you think
                    >there are **other** topics that I've overlooked and/or that I should
                    >not neglect given the aim of the book .

                    Isn't the LP in the Didache? IIRC, that might provide reason to discuss
                    * What role it played in the community that used the Didache
                    * Whether the Didache version is derivative (e.g., from Matthew) or not
                    (e.g., Crossan considers it early)
                    There have been a bunch of ~new books on the Didache in the past 10 years
                    or so.

                    Bob

                    >Yours,
                    >
                    >Jeffrey
                    >
                    >******
                    >Outline
                    >
                    >Versions of the Prayer (in Matthew, in Luke, in the Didache) and their
                    >Relationship
                    >
                    >The Origin of the Prayer (from Jesus? From John the Baptist?)
                    >
                    >The Unity of the Prayer (the thesis of Goulder)
                    >
                    >How Original is the Prayer/ The Context of the Prayer (its formal and
                    >thematic relationship to Second Temple Jewish Prayers)
                    >
                    >The Horizon of the Prayer (the question of the Lord's Prayer as an
                    >Eschatological Prayer)
                    >
                    >The Meaning of the Petitions
                    >
                    >The Function of the Prayer in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke.
                    >
                    >******
                    >--
                    >Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                    >1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                    >Chicago, Illinois
                    >e-mail jgibson000@...
                    >

                    >The XTalk Home Page is
                    ><http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/>http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/

                    >List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

                    >jesus
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Beyond+belief&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=PRZaGy-53S81wUsfjCT2Zg>Beyond
                    >belief
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Christianity+today&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=gUB1PVMB5Ggzi6ybPV-6Mg>Christianity
                    >today
                    ><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mere+christianity&w1=Historical+jesus&w2=Beyond+belief&w3=Christianity+today&w4=Mere+christianity&c=4&s=88&.sig=ctyEs8znv201GmPOMWz16w>Mere
                    >christianity

                    > *

                  • James Spinti
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                      I didn't know that Crossan considered the LP in the Didache early, but Milavec argues that the whole Didache is early in his huge tome:

                      "The Didache: Faith, Hope, and Life of the Earliest Christian Communities, 50-70 C.E."
                      by Aaron Milavec
                      Paulist Press, 2003
                      1,000 pages, English, Cloth
                      ISBN: 0809105373
                      List Price: $64.95

                      He deals specifically with the LP in pages 308-350.

                      HTH,
                      James
                      ________________________________
                      James Spinti
                      Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
                      Eisenbrauns, Good books for over 30 years
                      jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
                      Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
                      Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
                      Fax: 574-269-6788

                    • Bob Dietel
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                        James Spinti wrote:

                        >I didn't know that Crossan considered the LP in the Didache early, but Milavec argues that the whole Didache is early in his huge tome:
                        >
                        >"The Didache: Faith, Hope, and Life of the Earliest Christian Communities, 50-70 C.E."
                        >by Aaron Milavec
                        >Paulist Press, 2003
                        >1,000 pages, English, Cloth
                        >ISBN: 0809105373
                        >List Price: $64.95
                        >
                        >He deals specifically with the LP in pages 308-350.

                        Kurt Niederwimmer also argues that the Didache is early
                        second-century. [see Niederwimmer et al. 1998. /"The Didache:
                        Hermeneia/. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 43.] His discussion
                        of the LP is in pp 134-138.
                        --

                        --Bob Dietel, vicar
                        --North Cascades Episcopal Missions
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                          Bob Dietel wrote:

                          > Kurt Niederwimmer also argues that the Didache is early
                          > second-century. [see Niederwimmer et al. 1998. /"The Didache:
                          > Hermeneia/. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 43.] His discussion
                          > of the LP is in pp 134-138.

                          Flusser too discusses the LP in his book on the Didache--- on pages 293-296.

                          Jim

                          --
                          Jim West, ThD

                          http://petrosbaptistchurch.blogspot.com -- Weblog
                        • James Spinti
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                            By early, Milavec means first century, note the subtitle: 50-70 C.E.
                            That seems a bit unconventional. Most would date it early 2nd century or
                            later. What does Crossan mean by early?

                            James
                            ________________________________

                          • Jack Kilmon
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                              > At 12:32 PM 5/31/2006, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
                              >>With apologies for cross posting.
                              >>
                              >>I am finally beginning work in earnest on my book on the Lord's Prayer
                              >>for Paulist Press' _What Are They Saying About_ Series.
                              >>
                              >>I have drawn up (and include below) a preliminary outline of the topics
                              >>that I think are at the center of current discussions of the LP and that
                              >>I will need to deal with.
                              >>
                              >>But I'd be grateful if List Members would let me know whether you think
                              >>there are **other** topics that I've overlooked and/or that I should
                              >>not neglect given the aim of the book .
                              >
                              > Isn't the LP in the Didache? IIRC, that might provide reason to discuss
                              > * What role it played in the community that used the Didache
                              > * Whether the Didache version is derivative (e.g., from Matthew) or not
                              > (e.g., Crossan considers it early)
                              > There have been a bunch of ~new books on the Didache in the past 10 years
                              > or so.
                              >
                              > Bob

                              WSas there not a publication by Oxford University Press about 10 years ago
                              of the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom which included a version of ther LP?

                              Jack

                              Jack Kilmon
                            • Tony Buglass
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                                James Spinti wrote:
                                By early, Milavec means first century, note the subtitle: 50-70 C.E.
                                That seems a bit unconventional. Most would date it early 2nd century or
                                later. What does Crossan mean by early?

                                Crossan discusses the Lord's Prayer in The Historical Jesus p.293, and
                                refers to the Didache's version. He thinks it is an "independent rendition"
                                of the version known to Matthew. He thinks Luke has used the version in Q,
                                and Matthew has replaced it with the version used in his own community. As
                                far as the Didache himself is concerned, he includes it in his
                                stratification of the Jesus Tradition (p.427f). He places the first part of
                                it in his 3rd stratum (80-120) - that is Did.1:1-3a, 2:2-16:2. He thinks
                                1:3b-2:1 is a later insertion, independent of the intracanonical gospels.
                                He suggests also that the apocalyptic source behind Did.16:3-5 "may have
                                been known by Mk.13 or more likely by Mt.24." He places Did.1:3b-2:1 in the
                                4th stratum (120-150).

                                Cheers,
                                Rev Tony Buglass
                                Superintendent Minister
                                Upper Calder Methodist Circuit
                              • johnestaton
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 2, 2006
                                  --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Dear Jeffrey,
                                  >
                                  > What is the relationship between the LP and the Kaddish? They sound very
                                  > similar to me.
                                  >
                                  > What is the age of the kaddish?
                                  >
                                  > Liz Fried
                                  >
                                  > Ann Arbor

                                  JES
                                  Lisbeth,
                                  Sorry I am not Jeffrey, but the link between the LP and the Kaddish is
                                  widely acknowledged by scholars. I believe the majority think the
                                  kaddish predates Jesus and that the LP is a variation on the Jewish
                                  prayer. I would see this link as one of the most powerful arguments
                                  for its early provenance.

                                  Best Wishes

                                  Penistone, Sheffield UK
                                  www.christianreflection.org.uk
                                • Mark Preece
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 6, 2006
                                    At 11:50 AM 6/1/2006, Jeff Peterson wrote:
                                    >It may not be more than a footnote, but James Barr's JTS article
                                    >"Abba Isn't Daddy" is important in assessing Jesus' attitude towards
                                    >God, which Jeremias maintains the prayer expresses.

                                    And if you touch on this, please remember to mention that part of the
                                    problem with this whole discussion is that "daddy" means different things
                                    to different people in English. I haven't read Barr's article, at least not
                                    that I remember, but this point often gets lost in this discussion. There's
                                    more to "daddy" as a form of address than how intimate it is.

                                    I was raised in a culture where calling my father "daddy" was considered
                                    not only intimate but infantile -- I'm sure I stopped well before I was 8.
                                    I would be uncomfortable praying to God as "daddy" for the same reason I
                                    would be uncomfortable putting the rest of the prayer into baby talk. (I
                                    guess I could imagine calling God "dad".) On the other hand, I've known
                                    people (especially from the south) who referred to their fathers as "daddy"
                                    to the end of their lives.

                                    Peace,

                                    Mark.

                                    The Rev. Mark Preece
                                    Trinity Church, Gulph Mills
                                    King of Prussia, PA
                                  • Jack Kilmon
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 6, 2006
                                      > At 11:50 AM 6/1/2006, Jeff Peterson wrote:
                                      >>It may not be more than a footnote, but James Barr's JTS article
                                      >>"Abba Isn't Daddy" is important in assessing Jesus' attitude towards
                                      >>God, which Jeremias maintains the prayer expresses.
                                      >
                                      > And if you touch on this, please remember to mention that part of the
                                      > problem with this whole discussion is that "daddy" means different things
                                      > to different people in English. I haven't read Barr's article, at least
                                      > not
                                      > that I remember, but this point often gets lost in this discussion.
                                      > There's
                                      > more to "daddy" as a form of address than how intimate it is.
                                      >
                                      > I was raised in a culture where calling my father "daddy" was considered
                                      > not only intimate but infantile -- I'm sure I stopped well before I was 8.
                                      > I would be uncomfortable praying to God as "daddy" for the same reason I
                                      > would be uncomfortable putting the rest of the prayer into baby talk. (I
                                      > guess I could imagine calling God "dad".) On the other hand, I've known
                                      > people (especially from the south) who referred to their fathers as
                                      > "daddy"
                                      > to the end of their lives.
                                      >
                                      > Peace,
                                      >
                                      > Mark.
                                      >
                                      > The Rev. Mark Preece
                                      > Trinity Church, Gulph Mills
                                      > King of Prussia, PA

                                      I would like to see a precedent in 1st century Judean Aramaic that )b)
                                      (abba) represents a lesser formality than "father" and not the 1st person
                                      plural pronomial suffix -a added to ab rather than being the status
                                      emphaticus which lost its significance by the 1st century (Jeremias, Theol.
                                      Literaturzeitung 1949, 9, 530). This construction can also be seen in the
                                      phrase marana tha "OUR master, come." Accordingly I would expect a personal
                                      or more intimate use to be "aby" (MY father).

                                      Is there an orthographic tree I am not seeing for the forest here?

                                      Jack

                                      Jack Kilmon
                                      San Marcos, Texas