Re: [XTalk] Re: Matthew's Infancy Narrative

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2006

      > > The guy responsible for the calendar was Dionysius Exiguus, who lived in
      > > Rome in the 6th C. He suggested dating the Christian era from the date of
      > > the incarnation, and his calendar started with New Year's Day on March 25th,
      > > AD 1...
      >
      > Are you quite sure about this? I'm almost sure it was Bede who first
      > used the Incarnation to date the Christian era. Don't have my
      > material at hand but I believe he suggested the change in his De
      > temporibus liber or De temporum ratione.
      >

      > James Lewis, Ph. D.
      > columcille@...

      Regardless of his surety, he's right. Bede is one of the first writers who used the system, used it consistently, used it correctly, and through his highly influential works on computus, exegesis, and the historia, popularized and spread the use of Dionysius' system to the rest of Europe. But it was Dionysius Exiguus who developed the system.

      Larry Swain