Re: [XTalk] Fwd: The Secret Message of Jesus?

  • Rikk Watts
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27 5:24 PM
      Jack wrote:

      > I am beginning to wonder that had not the 1st century Galilean Jew, Yeshua
      > bar Yahosef, been "reinvented" into a Graeco-Roman, virgin born and divine
      > creature, ...

      But as I'm sure you know, Jack, there in lies the rub. It is clear to me
      that the Jesus of the canonical Gospels looks far more like Israel's God
      than any G-R deity: viz. the thorough-going use of OT images, themes, texts,
      and, yes, at the risk of being repetitive, his mighty deeds, cf. Barry
      Blackburn's often overlooked THEIOS ANHR which particularly addresses the
      "divine creature" theory; also Bauckham; Hurtado; Gathercole). I really have
      a hard time seeing how documents that fairly ooze Israel's narrative and
      ideological horizons could ever be read as anything else.

      You mention the virgin birth, apparently as a key gene in locating the NT
      Jesus' origins. But if so, why is it so little seen in the NT? And why, when
      it is, is it never invoked to establish Jesus' deity? Indeed, Paul, the most
      commonly held culprit for this putative G-R mutation doesn't even mention
      it, let alone make any theological hay out of it.

      Regards

      Rikk