Re: [XTalk] Terminology of "Palestine" and "Palestinian" Judaism

  • dbockdts
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 24, 2006
      Dennis:

      Thank you for the very helpful note. We should not be surprised at such usage by either
      Philo or Josephus given their primary audience. This is an interesting case as your meal in
      1963-64 indicates (even before the 6 Day War!). As I access the xTalk summary today
      there is a remark from the Iranian leader that Jews should go back to their homeland in
      Europe (Should they return to the land out of which Abraham came? I bet that would not
      be a popular option for either camp). So this naming is a pretty important issue for many
      as we have all noted. Surely Hadrian's handling of this term and its motive is similar to
      what the fuss is all about now. So how does one sensitively cut through all of this, given
      the build up of history that surrounds the original term? Is simply going back to usage that
      predates all of this built up history the way to go? What is our current responsibility as
      scholars? The answer to that question seems difficult to me. Might Canaan be a better
      term so neither the term Judea or Palestine is primary or does that go back too far? I
      always wrestle internally with this when discussing this in class.

      Darrell Bock