Re: [XTalk] Re: Palestine

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2006
      dbockdts wrote:

      > The term does appear in the first chapter of the First Apology of Justin Martyr. The best I can
      > tell it is not found in the Apostolic Fathers. BDAG had not reference to it. More to come.

      It also appears in Philo.

      Abr 133.3
      Mos 1.163.3
      Virt 221.1
      Prob 75.1

      Strabo

      Geog Cap.1.16.3
      Geog 16.4.18.17

      Diodorus Siculus

      Bibliotheca historica 3.42.5.`

      Plutarch.
      Luc 14.6.9 $
      Pomp 45.2.4 $
      De tuenda sanitat$
      De Iside et Osiri$

      And quite a few other authors.

      Jeffrey
      `

      > Darrell Bock
      >
      > --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "dbockdts" <DBockDTS@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This will not be much help, but in Messianic Jewish circles where there is a great deal of
      > > sensitivity to these things, I have heard that the term is second century, which is why they
      > > object when it is used of any first century or earlier discussion. I will see if I can get more
      > > specifics.
      > >
      > > Darrell Bocki

      > List managers may be contacted directly at: crosstalk2-owners@yahoogroups.com

      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Chicago, Illinois
      e-mail jgibson000@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2006
        At 08:09 AM 4/21/2006, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

        >dbockdts wrote:
        >
        > > The term does appear in the first chapter of the First Apology of
        > Justin Martyr. The best I can
        > > tell it is not found in the Apostolic Fathers. BDAG had not reference
        > to it. More to come.
        >
        >It also appears in Philo.

        Let's please be clear about what "it" is-- preferably using the term as it
        appears in the sources, and being clearer about the geographical scope of
        the term. Because of the Philistine heritage, it would not be unusual at
        all for the *coastal* regions to be referred to as Philistia (or any of its
        Hebrew, Latin or Greek cognates).

        What is important about Hadrian's designation is that "Palestine" was
        applied to an administrative unit that included the *hill country all the
        way to the Jordan River,* if I understand his designation correctly. So
        far as I know, his usage was the first to be that extensive, in
        geographical terms.

        So what would interest me is if ANY of the following references was meant
        to encompass more than the coastal regions.

        Bob Schacht