J. Tabor in US News; R. Altman, Absent Voices reviews

  • goranson@duke.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2006
      James Tabor's new book, Jesus Dynasty, is discussed in US News and World Report:
      http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/060417/17christ.htm
      I haven't read the book yet, so I'll wait till I do to comment on what I may
      find persuasive or not.

      Rochelle Altman's book, Absent Voices: The Story of Writing Systems in the West
      (2004) is the subject of a long review by Scott Gwara in Papers of the
      Bibliographical Society of America v.100 n.1 March 2006, pages 125-34. Among
      other things, Gwara questions Altman's distinguishing of scribal hands and the
      proposed "staggering technique," in which the scribes are said to alternate
      after a few words or lines. Among other academic journals, the book has been
      reviewed in Maarav (a review to which she strongly objected, e.g., on the old
      ane list) and College and Research Libraries 66 (2005). (The later two reviews
      can be located online via google.) Are there other academic reviews of this
      book?

      best
      Stephen Goranson
      http://www.duke.edu/~goranson