Re: Gospel of Judas Excerpts Online urls

  • smithand44
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2006
      --- In crosstalk2@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Pearse" <roger_pearse@...>
      wrote:

      > Given that National Geographic have so responsibly put the text and
      > translation at the disposal of the world, I sort of feel that those
      > of us interested should reward this behaviour by buying their book
      > version, which, after all is only a measly $22! It doesn't seem to
      > be available in the UK, tho, yet.

      Well, you might hold off until their next book. I pre-ordered both
      books through Amazon, assuming that one was the scholarly edition, and
      the other the popular edition. As it turns out, The Gospel of Judas,
      which I assumed was the scholarly edition, doesn't even contain the
      Coptic text. The Lost Gospel : The Quest for the Gospel of Judas
      Iscariot contains a book-length account of the text's "discovery" and
      the dubious provenance and academic politics surrounding it, but it
      doesn't even have an English translation. Instead, the final chapter
      paraphrases the gospel of Judas, presumably in the hope that readers
      will buy the volume containing the English translation. Still, these
      two must be more worthwhile than James T. Robinson's book, which seems
      to based on him having been in the next room to the Gospel of Judas a
      couple of decades ago. It's interesting material, but we should have
      been given the Coptic text, English translationa and commentary in a
      single book.

      Best Wishes

      Andrew

      Andrew Phillip Smith